Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei G300 "No updates available" - looking for ICS

thirdorder
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

When I checked for updates on my phone today, I got "No updates are available". I'm on Gingerbread (U8815V100R001C02B895) and expected to see the ICS upgrade.

Do I have to wait for my phone to check automatically?

52 REPLIES 52

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lobespear

I've just checked this with Andrew who was looking into this. We strongly recommend that you update to the last G300 software available which will be a version of ICS.

Thanks

Sukhi

yes,please could someone provide a link to ics update. I bought an external sd card in preparation, backed up my data and apps - & then found link had been removed! You are seriously tempting me to quit Vodafone and jump to a custom ROM as latest apps are ics and up. Please reply asap.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

"We strongly recommend that you update to the last G300 software available which will be a version of ICS.".

One of the interesting aspects of owning a G300 is the occasional excursion into Cloud Cuckoo Land that seems to be involved.

Ann.

Hi Guys,

Can you confirm which version of software you are currently running?

Is this B3960 or higher?

James

Annie_N

Hi James

I bought my G300 in July 2012, when it came with B892 (GB).  I hadn’t heard of B885 until Andrew mentioned it in May 2013, but presume that it must have been a version of GB on phones bought earlier than mine.

In Nov 2012 I upgraded OTA to B895 (GB), and on to B936 (ICS).  My phone was hideous on B936, and I was able to downgrade back to B895, where I chose to stop (that downgrade route was subsequently withdrawn).

Subsequently, a patch from B936 (ICS) to B952 (ICS) was made available, but as far as I am aware no onward patch to B960 (ICS) was ever made available OTA, although some people bought the G300 with B960 already installed, and others had B960 installed on repair.

So there is a spectrum of people stranded in various places, from B892 (or even B885?) through to B952, many of whom would love to progress to B960, except that it hasn’t been made available OTA, and I don’t think that ANY upgrades have been available OTA for some time.

Is B3960 an alias for B960, or is it some exciting new version of ICS to which we should aspire?

I hope I’ve given you the full story, but I’m sure others will chip in with any stages which I may have overlooked.

Ann.

So basically Vodafone are tacitly admitting that their *cough* "extensively tested" *cough* ICS update was a bag of nails, and rather than do the decent thing and fix it they've made it completely unavailable - OK, there's the repair option but who is going to give up their phone for as long as it takes to do that?

My G300 was absolutely trashed (as in made unbootable) by the B936 update in November and luckily I recovered it back to B895 with the help of the fine folks at Modaco. I was thinking about giving the upgrade another go now I'm more comfortable with Android but it seems Voda want to make that as inconvenient as possible.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your posts and especially to Annie_N for the detailed outline of what’s happened.

I’ve passed a lot of this information over to one of our contacts to see exactly what version of ICS should be available and to see what we can do to get this out to our customers.

Annie_N – The B3960 does sound like it could be an alias for B960 but I wouldn’t want to say for sure as it’s not something that we have listed on our approved software list.

James