Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei phone

mikey3028
4: Newbie

Dear any member of Vodafone staff who give a crap, My sons phone recently stopped charging. I phoned you as it was still under warranty and duly sent it to them to fix, noting down on the piece a paper what the issue was. Several days later it arrived back. Great I thought! However it was the same phone with no fix. You had refused the repair on the basis that the it had been water damaged. Odd I thought. Its not been swimming around in water and to be fair my son looks after it extremely well. The phone arrived with a photo showing what I think is meant to be proof of water damage. Its hyper annoying. I took the battery out of the phone, charged it up using a charger for my DSLR camera and bingo the phone works. This suggests that there is a problem with the internal connection between the socket and the battery. The phone now works perfectly notwithstanding we have to remove the battery to charge it. So we have a working phone with a problem Vodafone will not fix......under warranty. I have had this argument with you before when my wife's HTC was apparently water damaged, only then you DID replace the handset but you then issued me with an invoice on Christmas eve for £100. Standing up for myself I called you on that occasion and refused to put the phone down until I got a credit for the £100. (The new handset was bad too and the issue was with the battery that I replaced myself). My questions are thus: 1. What process to you go through to determine that the very tiny "litmus" paper that turns red is the cause of any problem? 2. Are you sure that the manufacturers that put these brilliant sensors inside work well enough and actually dont go red before there is any harm to the phone ( i understand steam from the shower sets them off too !! ) 2. How are we, the paying public, secure in the knowledge that this water damage proof did not happen in transit or at the repair workshop? 3. Why do you think that sending back the "proof" in the form of a piece of folded up paper with a grainy, black and white poor quality photo is good enough? I wonder how many of these little water damage sensors have turned red inside perfectly healthy phones with the owner totally unaware. Many probably. Lets hope they don't have to send them to you. Can I suggest that the process at your end is to open up the handset, look quickly for the "tell tale" proof, snap it shut again and lob it back in the post. On reflection I think this is probably going against some consumer act somewhere.

(Removed according to House Rules)

, I shall be going another provider. This is a shame as I have been with you for years and pay you over £1,800 per year (and the payments are never late!). Do you not look after decent customers? On this occasion I really would like a response, and not one of those one liners asking me to log in and talk privately. Perhaps if you do give a crap you could put some paragraphs down in this thread for all to read. But of course to read this you have to get to the end of this long message. Your truly, (Removed according to House Rules) PS I you never did get to the bottom of why I cant log onto the Openzone wifi out and about..... got some map that meant nothing to me and that was about it. your helpdesk didnt help either. suggest a change in name to the 'doesnt always help desk'

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi mikey3028, 

We don't have the information of the exact processes our repair team go through. With regards to the sensors in the phone, this is something you'd need to discuss with the manufacturer. 

The easiest way to connect to BT Wi-Fi is by using the My Vodafone app. If you're still experiencing issues, please let us know the error message you're seeing. 

Thanks, 

Kay

mikey3028
Thanks for your very brief response. Who would you recommend besides Vodafone?

hrym
17: Community Champion

The moisture sensors in your phone are very sensitive and the external ones (usually under the battery or in the SIM compartment) can be triggered by no more than a damp atmosphere.    Vodafone, as a 3rd party repairer, are precluded by all the manufacturers from carrying out a warranty repair in these circumstances are are not even allowed to open the phone and check the internal sensors.  However, the manufacturer themselves will almost always take a more pragmatic view and will often do the work under warranty as long as the internal sensors have not been triggered or the fault is clearly unrelated anyway.

If you go direct to Huawei, you may well find that this is the case.  Don't mention that Vodafone have previously refused a repair.  Water and moisture-proof phones are appearing from all the main manufacturers, in part at least, in recognition of this less-than-satisfactory situation.

With regard to BT wifi, which is a can of worms anyway, you might want to follow this thread.   It doesn't have any answers at the moment, but there's work going on.

mikey3028
Thanks hrym.

It's odd you mention the internal sensors. The picture I got back from Vodafone, albeit poor quality, appeared to show more than the back cover removed. Well....I sent it away without the back....

I might query it with Huawei. Honestly hasn't even thought that far.

hrym

@mikey3028 wrote:
I might query it with Huawei. Honestly hasn't even thought that far.

It's the way to go on this.