Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IP Address Conflict

REWE
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Vodafone 875 coonects to my office WifI always using IP Address 192.168.0.2 - this causes a conflict on my networks and my workstations (Windows XP/Windows 7) generate error messages.

How can I change the handset IP Address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried the following
1. Edited the router settings. Found that 192.168.0.2 was not reserved for any device.
2. Checked the desktop that its TCP/IP setting was to use staic IP - 192.168.0.2
3. Rebooted desktop - ran IPCONFIG and it had got 192.168.0.2
4. Switched phone WiFI on - got IP conflict error on desktop - looked at WiFI detail on phone, it was using 0.2  switched WiFI off
5. Daughter-in-law came in with her iPhone, it happily connected to a different IP 0.7
5. Edited router settings and specifically reserved 0.2 IP for MAC address of Desktop.
6. Rebooted router - THIS is important
7. Switched phone WiFi on - it got next available 0.8 IP address.

There is a mixture of problems here.
Router (NetGear DGND3700v2) appears to issue an IP address that is already in use to Android Phone (4.1.1), yet my Android Tablet (4.0.1) gets the next available as did the Daughter-in-law's iPhone
On Android tablet I can edit global seetings and set WiFi IP to either DHCP or static.  I can find no similar setting on the Android phone.
Anyway problem is solved - thanks for all your help.
It confirms the saying:-
"A Standard is a Norm around which everyone deviates"

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

hrym
17: Community Champion

Cheap or not, it should work and the original problem you posted is an odd one.   I'm sure that fact that your pc had a fixed IP address was the start of the issue, but it seems to have compounded from there.  Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed, and thanks for coming back with the solution.

Nabs

Maybe Alcatel have removed it from the software.

It's an odd one but at least you have managed to find a workaround :smileyhappy:

Nabs

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Great to see you got it sorted.

The router isn't at fault, nor the phone, everything sounds like it is working as planned...

As .0.2 wasn't reserved for anything, it wouldn't know the computer had been issued that as a static address.

The phone at first point of connection would have requested the first available address, and would have been given .0.2 on a 7(or more) day lease.

Every time it then connects, it gets the same address due to the lease being in place.

The other devices would pick up addresses on dhcp, and again get a lease for that device and that address.

Upon assigning the address to the mac of the pc, the lease would have been overwritten as it was now reserved, and the next number was then used.

You could have also fixed it by changing the start address on the DHCP server to be .0.10, giving you from 2-9 to use on static devices if required.