Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IP Address Conflict

REWE
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Vodafone 875 coonects to my office WifI always using IP Address 192.168.0.2 - this causes a conflict on my networks and my workstations (Windows XP/Windows 7) generate error messages.

How can I change the handset IP Address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried the following
1. Edited the router settings. Found that 192.168.0.2 was not reserved for any device.
2. Checked the desktop that its TCP/IP setting was to use staic IP - 192.168.0.2
3. Rebooted desktop - ran IPCONFIG and it had got 192.168.0.2
4. Switched phone WiFI on - got IP conflict error on desktop - looked at WiFI detail on phone, it was using 0.2  switched WiFI off
5. Daughter-in-law came in with her iPhone, it happily connected to a different IP 0.7
5. Edited router settings and specifically reserved 0.2 IP for MAC address of Desktop.
6. Rebooted router - THIS is important
7. Switched phone WiFi on - it got next available 0.8 IP address.

There is a mixture of problems here.
Router (NetGear DGND3700v2) appears to issue an IP address that is already in use to Android Phone (4.1.1), yet my Android Tablet (4.0.1) gets the next available as did the Daughter-in-law's iPhone
On Android tablet I can edit global seetings and set WiFi IP to either DHCP or static.  I can find no similar setting on the Android phone.
Anyway problem is solved - thanks for all your help.
It confirms the saying:-
"A Standard is a Norm around which everyone deviates"

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

As an experienced software developer I am very familiar with IP

In that case, and I appreciate that this is very much non-ideal, it might be worth inspecting the traffic on the LAN with wireshark, to see if you see what's going on in terms of IP assignment, and whether there is some odd chatter, or if it is just a static IP address on the device?

You might also see if there is a terminal emulator already on your device, and then look at /etc/network/interfaces, or whatever the Android equivalent is?

Neil

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Also, what is the behaviour of the device if connected to a network with a different IP range? Does it still try to connect with 192.168.0.2 or does it connect fine to the new range, and is that also using .2?

I am guessing .2 isn't in the DHCP lease range?

Is there any way to shorten the wireless lease time - in case it is being issued the same one for now.

Could another DHCP Server enabled device be on the network, and it is that issuing the address rather than the router?

Thank you - several suggestions which I will follow up when time permits, at the moment I am leaving my phone with WiFi switched off when in the office.  I will try and annoy some neighbours and see what happend when I am in range of their WiFi!

hrym
17: Community Champion

Well, good luck with it, and please come back and tell us if you find the answer!

I tried the following
1. Edited the router settings. Found that 192.168.0.2 was not reserved for any device.
2. Checked the desktop that its TCP/IP setting was to use staic IP - 192.168.0.2
3. Rebooted desktop - ran IPCONFIG and it had got 192.168.0.2
4. Switched phone WiFI on - got IP conflict error on desktop - looked at WiFI detail on phone, it was using 0.2  switched WiFI off
5. Daughter-in-law came in with her iPhone, it happily connected to a different IP 0.7
5. Edited router settings and specifically reserved 0.2 IP for MAC address of Desktop.
6. Rebooted router - THIS is important
7. Switched phone WiFi on - it got next available 0.8 IP address.

There is a mixture of problems here.
Router (NetGear DGND3700v2) appears to issue an IP address that is already in use to Android Phone (4.1.1), yet my Android Tablet (4.0.1) gets the next available as did the Daughter-in-law's iPhone
On Android tablet I can edit global seetings and set WiFi IP to either DHCP or static.  I can find no similar setting on the Android phone.
Anyway problem is solved - thanks for all your help.
It confirms the saying:-
"A Standard is a Norm around which everyone deviates"

Nabs

Hi REWE,

Does the phone not have a screen like below when you view the advanced settings for your wireless network?

Screenshot_2014-04-11-09-16-16.png

I have a similar screen with less info under Advanced WiFI However it does not let me change anything.

Can you give me a route map to the screen you show, maybe I am missing a trick

Nabs

@REWE wrote:

I have a similar screen with less info under Advanced WiFI However it does not let me change anything.

Can you give me a route map to the screen you show, maybe I am missing a trick

give me 5 i'll grab some screenshots to get you there

Nabs

Right here goes:

• Open Settings app and tap Wi-Fi 

Screenshot_2014-04-11-10-06-42.png

• Long press the name of your Wi-Fi network

Screenshot_2014-04-11-10-06-46.png

• You will get a pop-up menu. Choose Modify Network

Screenshot_2014-04-11-10-06-50.png

• Check the Show advance options checkbox

Screenshot_2014-04-11-10-06-55.png

• You should now be able to see either DHCP or Static selected in the dropdown box

Screenshot_2014-04-11-10-07-00.png Screenshot_2014-04-11-09-16-16.png

Nabs

My phone just does not do that. Long Press the network name gives me a pop-up menu with status info, incl IP address but only two option, cancel or forget.

However now I have a solution to my original it is just not worth worrying about.

Thanks for your help -my phone was the cheapest in the shop so perhaps that is why!