Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Installing OpenWrt in Huawei HG556a

aroshlakshan
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently bought a Huawei HG556a(HG55VDFA VER C.) from Vodafone and been using it OK with my Huawei 3G Dongle plugged in. But later I found out that the options I needed is not available there. For an example, turning off DHCP is not there. So I Googled for a solution and stumbled upon an article on Installing OpenWrt in my router and getting the options I need. I took a look at OpenWrt website on how to install it on my router but It's a little complicated for me. So can anyone guide me through the process with rather simple instructions? And the other thing is, I wanna know when I install this on my router, will it still support my 3G Dongle as I need it to connect to the internet.

3 REPLIES 3

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

I'm not aware of any particular instructions for this make / model, but, when I put OpenWRT on a router a couple of months back, it was a simple process of downloading a firmware image, and installing it via the "firmware update" function on the device. When it came back up, it was running OpenWRT, and, logging in through the web interface with the default username and password, it was pretty intuitive as to how to configure it.

My recollection is that all OpenWRT releases support USB modems over any available USB ports, even if the original software build did not support this.

OpenWRT is a fantastic system, especially if you are comfortable configuring devices via command line, but the GUI is really rather impressive. However, it's still - in my view, at least - not really for the fainthearted, and you would want a reasonable degree of confidence in being able to fix something if it were to go wrong before opting for it over default firmware.

In terms of a guide, if you cannot find something suitable on the OpenWRT site, a forum dedicated to OpenWRT might offer more responses than here — OpenWRT is not something which comes up on here very often.

Neil

Thanks. I posted this same thing at OpenWrt but I got no response. But I'll try what you have mentioned. Thanks again.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi aroshlakshan

Apologies, we seemed to have missed your post.

Did you get this sorted? Let us know if we can help further.

Best wishes,

Jenny