Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

LG G3 review roundup

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi All

It's safe to say that the LG G3 is a great phone. But you don't have to take our word for it. Vodafone social has  a round up of reviews for this great new phone.

Read the full article here.

Do you have an LG G3? What are your thoughts about it?

8 REPLIES 8

lainchir
4: Newbie
I've had my Vody LG G3 for about 2 weeks now, and think it's a superb phone. I had a BB Bold 9790 before it, and had access to an iPhone 4 to play with. The LG leaves them both for dust. The BB, running OS6 really was starting to show it's age... refusing to play videos and taking an age to display webpages - The iPhone iOS just being far far too restrictive. Simple things like deleting multiple eMails and adding music to playlists were just not practical. The LG has none of the restrictions, that I've found so far anyway. The user interface seems to be slick and responsive. Camera superb too. Battery life easily lasts me the day... and I'm quite a heavy messaging user. The occasional pause when going into the stock texting app... but show me a phone, whatever OS that doesn't occasionally pause here and there... they do an awful lot these days. The Circle case is a valuable addition, but wash my mouth out.... I had to purchase this from an O2 shop (shhhhh), I dare say Vodafone will have these in the near future. I'm well happy though. Vodafone need to up their game a little (for me) in the network coverage dept, but the phone is fantastic. Highly recommended from me anyway

Ellis_VF
Hi Thanks for the insights! I must admit I am very tempted by the LG G3 myself. Have you got any apps or games you can recommend?

Hi Ellis, Not really at the moment, I'm not really a gamer to be honest... usual apps, including the Vodafone one of course. The usual ones, if they are... Amazon Music, eBay, Utility one like British Gas etc, Costa, and banking apps... but these are standard to Android. What I will say is that the phone itself has some great stock apps. The camera is superb, and does feature some excellent capabilities, icluding the "magic focus", tilt shift and slow mo on the video. The laser focus is really quick and so far, the reported issues about overheating during HD video capture hasn't materialised. Newly delivered too, is a "siri" like voice mate, although, I can't really see me using it... nor would I have used it on the apple platform, had I have gone that way. The HD screen is stunning. There are two preloaded HD videos to show it off... and people I've shown are impressed. It's a huge screen compared to the competition, and coming from the tiny BB 9790 I was worried about the size increase, but it really doesn't feel it with the curved back. The Circle case increases this by a small amount still, but makes very little difference to the feel. Button placement is "different" being on the back of the phone, but again... it's not hard to get used to, and makes sense when it comes to the case. The ability to change the battery was a big selling point... I don't like the throw away society that we seem to exist in now. Yes, maybe in two years I'd like to upgrade again, but I do really like the ability to maintain the device. SD card is a huge plus too, especially given that I like keeping photos and music on the phone. :Smiling: It mentions cards up to 2TB in the manual (lol) I really don't think they exist yet... maybe in the future. My 16GB card is enough though, for now. Charging is reasonably quickly on the supplied 1.8A USB charger, and I have made enquiries about the QI wireless dock, although haven't bought one yet. If you're like me, and can't decide which way to jump... Apple or Android... all I can say is that I'm not dissapointed at all. :Smiling:

Ellis_VF

Hi

Thanks again for the post.

I'm in the quite lucky position of being near the Vodafone youtube team, so whenever they are filming with the devices I can go in and have a play. The LG G3 really caught my eye for the reasons you say. The screen is huge but not to big for the pocket. The HD is amazing and the whole experience seems responsive and easy to use.

The camera does interest me and I need to have a real good look at it has some tough competition from the other phones. The Nokia 930 can take some stunning photos and videos as demonstrated by @thesoupdragon in his test drive over here. I'll have to see if I can borrow the Youtube device and have a run around Vodafone Towers with it to test it out. Also, let me know how you get on with it.

All in all the G3 being such a good phone is making it even harder to decide where to go for my next personal phone.

krash
Hi Ellis i upgraded to the lg g3 a month ago coming from the galaxy s4 and i must say its a great phone. I was abit unsure at first as alot of people were complaining about battery life and saying that QHD isnt much of a difference from 1080p etc but from my experience battery life is very good. On screen time i get between 6 - 6.30 hrs on wifi and on 4g i get about 5.30 - 6 hrs but the best bit is this phone hardly drains any battery when the screen is off myb 1 or 2% all night. The screen is great very clear and sharp and i notice the difference compared to my galaxy s4 and other HD screens and my friends do also. The ui is simple fluid and easy to use specially compared to touchwiz which what i been used to over past few years. Watching videos and movies is a dream on this device with the big 5.5 inch screen and with the thin belzels it easy in the hand and feels great. As stated there is some lag here and there but every smartphone has this. The camera is great it takes awesome pictures and recording 4k looks great on the screen. The quick circle case adds even more function to the phone and is a good piece of kit i highly recommend it tho can get cheaper ones on amazon like i have. Over all this is a great phone with lots if good features im very happy with my decision.

Almost forgot knock code is very good feature i dont think i could ever go back to pin or pattern unlock again.

Ellis_VF

Thanks for the review Krash.

I've never really tried the knock code. Whats it like?

krash
Its fast and simple as its done while the screen is off so no need to turn it on then enter pin or pattern u just do the code and the phone unlocks.

Ellis_VF

I borrowed one from the Youtube team over the weekend to give it a test run at Wembley. I must admit, I'm impressed, the screen is absolutely stunning and is one of the sharpest I've seen. The knock code is a great little feature as well.

If anybody is reading this and wants an LG G3. Go and have a look at our blog where you can win a pair of from us.