You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
wadsws06

LG Viewty Smile / GT400 - Software needed!

LG Viewty Smile / GT400 delivered today; no software or USB cable in the box - despite vodafone website saying that these items are included.

After several calls to vodafone I'm told that LG aren't including them any more and that a cable must be purchased separately and that the software needs to be downloaded from the LG website. This is despite the User Guide stating "Insert the supplied CD into your PC...." on page 50!

I've been given an account credit to offset the cost of purchasing a data cable but I cannot find the PC Sync software or a USB driver that is compatible with this phone. And I've been all over every LG site I can find.

This makes the phone unusable for half of its features, not to mention getting my contacts off the PC and on to the phone.

Does anyone have this phone AND the software? Or a link to where I can find COMPATIBLE USB drivers and PC Sync?
Message 1 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz_V

Hi SimonWads, and welcome to our eForum! :P

Really disappointed to read that you've not been happy with your purchase with us :(

The LG PC Suite is available here. Can you download and try this please? As for drivers, if they're not included, can you tell us what Windows version you use? The more detail you can provide the better we'll be able to follow this up and resolve it for you! :)

Daz

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 2 of 76 (25,844 Views)
wadsws06

Thanks for the prompt response Daz.

Now I feel really stupid; that was the first site that I tried earlier but didn't read the page well enough before dismissing it. I assumed this was just a tool for firmware updates and didn't release it was also a download manager - pretty clever one at that; downloading the right software based on IMEI.

Works a treat, even on Windows 7 x64 with contact sync to Office 2010.

Many thanks!
Message 3 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Eddie831

Hi

I am also getting rather annoyed with the lack of a decent resolution to the PC connectivity problems I am facing with my new LG GT400 Viewty Smile and would appreciate any useful answers/advise.

The main issue is no USB Driver available for this phone ANYWHERE!!

1) Yes I have been to LG website and downloaded the "LGMobile Update Tool". The problem with that is the utility doesn't list the GT400 in the model list and neither my IMEI number or S/N are recognised so it offers no help.

2) I don't just want to link to my PC in Mass Storage mode. I want to be able to utilise my phone with LG PCSuite to manage my calander and contacts not just transfer music and photos between devices. I know it isn't a smartphone but I would like to instal more apps that I have seen available.

3) I have tried "Live Web Chat" and emailed Vodafone support. I was told to go back to store to ask for the instal disc (which the phone manual clearly states to "insert the supplied CD into your PC"). I was told that LG do not supply these discs??

4) The store says that as the GT400 is a new release the drivers are probably not developed yet. This puzzles me as why launch a product when an important part of the software/utility is not available??

In summary, I like the phone very much and want to be able to maximise it's potential so any help would be gratefully recieved.

Message 4 of 76 (25,844 Views)
wadsws06

When you enter the IMEI number, don't include the dashes. I did to start with and got errors. When I tried with the digits alone it was fine.

The software itself works a treat but the 4-step "how to use it" guide on the LG site is terrrible.

I just downloaded the tool again to check something, and the GT400 is listed in the "Model" droplist. Maybe they updated it, but I used the IMEI route so I can't say if it was there before or not.
Message 5 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Eddie831

When you enter the IMEI number, don't include the dashes. I did to start with and got errors. When I tried with the digits alone it was fine.

The software itself works a treat but the 4-step "how to use it" guide on the LG site is terrrible.

I just downloaded the tool again to check something, and the GT400 is listed in the "Model" droplist. Maybe they updated it, but I used the IMEI route so I can't say if it was there before or not.

Hi SimonWads - I really do appretiate your reply.

I had previously tried the LG tool and typed the IMEI number with AND without dashes. I used the S/N and yes I did find the model number in the drop down (it was there from the very first download) however I always get a popup saying "File Not Found". I have unistalled any previous versions and other mobile drivers that may conflict the process.

To humour myself I used the link supplied in the previous post here and went through the process again - same outcome

I would like to say that I have been the owner of a Nokia E71 and a N97 smartphones (now waiting for my upgrade so can get the new Nokia N8 at release or an iPhone - the GT400 is an in between phones phone) so am totally familier with phones and have always utilised my phones beyond described in the manuals. I would certainly not consider myself a novice or intermediate user.

So the saga continues - LGMobile Support tool doesn't work and no solution from manufacturer or network provided as yet.

Message 6 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Eddie831

I think I have finally got somewhere with this issue.

I got through to a guy at LG support who seemed to know his stuff. He went through the LG Support tool with me over the phone and agreed that the IMEI number wasn't doing what it was supposed to. It seems as though it was not registered at production so he is registering the number for me on the database and fingers crossed he said it should respond on the software tool in a few hours.

We will see

Message 7 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz_V

Hi SimonWads,

Great to hear this! :lol:

If you do have any further issues, please let us know!

Hi Eddie831,

Shame to read this - I've got my fingers crossed that you reply with some good news! Sadly there is a limit to our support for manufacturer's own software, but if you can post any updates this may help the community suggest an answer or workaround!

Daz

eForum Team
Message 8 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Eddie831

Update:

Still no joy! Back for the drawing board!

Message 9 of 76 (25,844 Views)
wadsws06

Eddie: try this http://www.the-emz.com/temp/GT400.zip

This ZIP contains the three downloads I got using my details, which I have combined into one ZIP and uploaded to my webspace:

* R008-2010-04934_LGPCSuiteIII_BundleCD_v3.2.17_2010012.zip
* LGUSBModemDriver_Ver_11.0.0.28844_EMP.zip
* R004-2010-00798_GT400_VDF_1.0_0318-1.pdf

I had to re-zip the original packages as the LG tool auto unzips them once it has downloaded. I think I got the original filenames replicated.

I don't think I had to install the USB Modem driver seperately; pretty sure the main LGPCSuite had it included but I've put it in the ZIP just in case.
Message 10 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Eddie831

.0_0318-1.pdf

I had to re-zip the original packages as the LG tool auto unzips them once it has downloaded. I think I got the original filenames replicated.

I don't think I had to install the USB Modem driver seperately; pretty sure the main LGPCSuite had it included but I've put it in the ZIP just in case.

I AM USING CAPSLOCK BECAUSE I AM SHOUTING WITH JOY NOT ANGER!!

SIMONWADS YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!

YOU HAVE SOLVED MY PROBLEM WITH YOUR DOWNLOAD - - I AM CONNECTED!!!

MANY MANY MANY THANKS -- LOTS OF REP FOR THIS ONE --- PERFECT!!

Message 11 of 76 (25,844 Views)
wadsws06

Glad I could help. I know how frustrating this was; gutted that the phone didn't come with a CD and gobsmacked at how unintuitive the LG site & tools were.
Message 12 of 76 (25,844 Views)
jane

hi i have this phone which i like but i am really mad beacause like you said it did not come with software ot a usb cable which i need as i am always downloadingf pics from phone to comp ...i have emailed lg and they said i had to buy it from them was not happy with that answer .i also contracted vodafone but as of yet not had any reply .
now all i want to do is swap this phoen for one that does have software and usb cable .....
Message 13 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy_V

Hi flossy34

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the features of your new handset. I am sure that we will be able to find a way to resolve this for you. I would like to be able to access your account so I can look into this further for you. I am going to send you an e-mail requesting some information which will give me access to your account. Once I have your response I will contact you to discuss this further.

Cheers

Andy H
eForum Team
Message 14 of 76 (25,844 Views)
jane

Hi flossy34

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the features of your new handset. I am sure that we will be able to find a way to resolve this for you. I would like to be able to access your account so I can look into this further for you. I am going to send you an e-mail requesting some information which will give me access to your account. Once I have your response I will contact you to discuss this further.

Cheers

Andy H
eForum Team

hi not got email from you yet ....i do like the phone .....
Message 15 of 76 (25,844 Views)
jane

[/quot
Message 16 of 76 (25,844 Views)
jane

i have just nicked this too all i need now is the usb cable fingedrs crissed it works coz i do like this phone
Message 17 of 76 (25,844 Views)
bethsleaf123

Hi

I am also getting rather annoyed with the lack of a decent resolution to the PC connectivity problems I am facing with my new LG GT400 Viewty Smile and would appreciate any useful answers/advise.

The main issue is no USB Driver available for this phone ANYWHERE!!

1) Yes I have been to LG website and downloaded the "LGMobile Update Tool". The problem with that is the utility doesn't list the GT400 in the model list and neither my IMEI number or S/N are recognised so it offers no help.

2) I don't just want to link to my PC in Mass Storage mode. I want to be able to utilise my phone with LG PCSuite to manage my calander and contacts not just transfer music and photos between devices. I know it isn't a smartphone but I would like to instal more apps that I have seen available.

3) I have tried "Live Web Chat" and emailed Vodafone support. I was told to go back to store to ask for the instal disc (which the phone manual clearly states to "insert the supplied CD into your PC"). I was told that LG do not supply these discs??

4) The store says that as the GT400 is a new release the drivers are probably not developed yet. This puzzles me as why launch a product when an important part of the software/utility is not available??

In summary, I like the phone very much and want to be able to maximise it's potential so any help would be gratefully recieved.

The Viewty smile's charger is the same as the BL20 Chocolate's charger so if you buy the USB cable for that it should work here is a link to one I found on Amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/EMARTBUY-GENUINE-LG-CHOCOLATE-CRYSTAL/dp/B0031EH47O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ele...

Hope this Helps :D
Message 18 of 76 (25,844 Views)
stapletonns

Guess I'm not the only person to be disappointed yet unsurprised by the lack of software/data cable.
Bought the 'phone yesterday in a Vodafone store, ordered third party 'cable after putting toys back in pram - why is it that companies reliant on IT are incapable of designing a remotely intuitive interface?

Anyroad, to the point, does anyone out there have a greyed keyhole (lock?) icon in the status bar below the msd/battery icon, 'cos I do and it doesn't feature in the WMD (words of meagre description).
Also, any comments on a multitasking icon that's present when not multitasking.

Perhaps I expect too much...............
Message 19 of 76 (25,844 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Reidar

Hello All

Thanks for continuing to share feedback and information regarding the GT400.

I have also linked as a reminder that the GT400 Help Centre contains various bits of advice on the Viewty as well as additional information on icons and display options.

I trust that users such as Simon wads and Bethsleaf will continue to contribute.

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Message 20 of 76 (25,844 Views)