Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moto G Random Touchscreen

claired
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am having some issues with my Motorola Moto G touchscreen.  It appears as if the touchscreen is being tapped even when I am nowhere near it.

So, I might tap to go into Messaging and it will immediately go back to the start screen.  Or create a new blank message.  Or open up the on-screen keyboard.  Or close the keyboard.  Or some sequence of all of these. Often I can see the "Home" icon atthe bottom of the screen flashing as if it is responding to a touch while this is going on.  It seems to happen more just after first unlocking, but happens at other times too.

I had the phone in a case and wondered if that was affecting things, but I have now taken it out of the case and there is no improvement.

Is anyone else having these phantom taps on the screen?  Any ideas how to fix it.

14 REPLIES 14

hrym
17: Community Champion

That sounds like a memory issue.  In the first instance, I assume you've tried simply turning the device off and back on again?  If that doesn't fix it, the next step would be a factory reset, but don't forget to back up your content first.  If the phone has to go for repair, a reset would be part of the process anyway, so you won't have lost anything by giving it a try yourself.

Thanks for the reply.

I had tried turning on and off and removing/replacing the battery, but no improvment.  I've now done the facory reset as you suggested and am going through setting it up again... 

I'll update here to say whether that has done the trick or not.  Fingers crossed.

Sad to report that the factory reset has not solved the problem.  I am still having the random phantom touchscreen presses :smileysad:

Any other thoughts?

jeffkinn

The phone is clearly broken and needs to be repaired. Take it to a Vodafone store for repair or contact Motorola

https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/92089/kw/Service+and+Repair

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

So irritated to find that as I have had the phone for more than 2 weeks they won't replace it, only repair.  Which with an intermittent fault just fills me with dread as to the chance of success 😞 

And in the meantime I have to be without any phone.  After 15 years loyalty to Vodafone I am seriously unimpressed with the customer service.  At this rate I'll be cancelling my contract and returning their blasted phone to them!

hrym

Intermittent faults are always tricky.  If Vodafone can't fix it, you also have the option of going direct to Motorola.

If your device fails, Vodafone offer a repair service for the life of your contract.  That doesn't include a replacement device while yours is away unless you've got their insurance.

jeffkinn

if its more than 14 days you can't cancel without paying the termination fee which would be very hefty on a brand new contract.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Nevr
4: Newbie

Is this entirely random or does it seem to "catch up" to what you may have previously pressed?

I have had a moto g and a moto g 4g and although both were great phones, I did have problems with the first moto g where I had so many tasks open at once even though most started on their wn, that the memory was bogged down and the phone would suddenly "catch up" to what I was pressing some 5 to 20 mins before.

When you factory reset this, how long did the phone work well before the symptom returned?

It seems to be completely random.  It is most noticeable immediately after unlocking the phone.  So I press the power button, swipe to unlock and then either before I have a chance to touch anything or as soon as I touch the first thing (say the Messages icon) then it starts.  It then goes through a series of maybe 4 to 30 random activities before stopping and I can then control the phone.  Additionally, about a third of the time, when I swipe to unlock the phone it appears to unlock but the screen is totally unresponsive - only pressing the power button again to relock and then swiping again seems to get it back to life.

It happens when there is basically nothing but the base-line apps running.  I have tried uninstalling every additional app and that made no difference.

After the factory reset it seemed better for mabe an hour or 2 and then went back into this.  As it doesn't do it every single time that I use the phone, even after unlocking, I'm not sure if the factory reset made any difference or the hour or so of good behaviour was just a co-incidence.

I have now sent it back to Vodafone in the hope that they will be able to reproduce and fix it.  Fingers crossed!