Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moto G Roaming Bar

weezix
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

As with the person in this post (forum) I think I also have a roaming bar on my Moto G phone.

I have moved abroad for a couple of years so switched my contract to payg. I want to use my phone every now and again just so I can keep the number for when I return, but when I try to use it, it wont connect to any networks. It connected fine while it was still a pay monthly for the first few days after I arrived in January before it switched, but I got a local phone so never checked until now.

The live chat has been unavailable for the last couple of days so I am posting here as I dont want to phone up from abroad.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
Don't they have different PAYG and Contract SIMs? Usually when someone changes from Contract to PAYG they get posted a PAYG SIM which then goes live with the number when the Contract SIM goes dead. That would mean that, if that's still the Contract SIM you're using, it's deactivated, and the working PAYG SIM (if you didn't get it before leaving) is sitting in your hall in an unopened letter.

I was told (and I clarified) that I didn't need a different SIM. I hope that it is not that case.

All I want to do is send a text once every few months so I can keep my number for when I return to the uk...

GojuSuzi
Aye, best not to panic just yet: they seem to have changed a lot around recently, and it has been a while since I saw anyone go the Contract-to-PAYG route, so every chance they have changed it to keep the same SIM. Just the timing of it losing service has me concerned that's not the case.

GojuSuzi
Worst case scenario and I am right (and no one can go collect the mail for you) you should be able to get someone still in the UK authorised to pick up a blank PAYG SIM in store on your behalf, activate the number against that, and have them post it to you. So even then, wouldn't be the end of the world.

True, would be nice to save someone the hassle though!

Finally saw that the live chat was working and they 'reset' the services associated with my number, whatever that means! Apparently in 1-2 hours I should be able to pick up a network.