Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New Phone - can't get Mobile Data to work

Bcfaigg
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi folks, due to an unfortunate incident involving my much-loved Samsung Galaxy S3 and a swimming pool, I have had to buy a new phone.  As funds are tight, I have opted to try out a Star U9501 (Chinese phone) from Ebay.  The phone looks and feels lovely - very similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4, but I cannot seem to get the internet working.

Basically, calls and SMS work fine - and signal strength is good, but no matter what I try, it will not connect to the internet.  I have visited a Vodafone store, who have confirmed the APN settings are correct, but were unable to suggest a solution.  I have also tried an Android app called Tweakker to manually set the APN, but with no luck.

I have just tried the phone with my missus' phone SIM (Giffgaff) and also an Orange PayG SIM, with the following results.

Vodafone SIM - I get no mobile data, no matter what I try to enable the internet. I have reasonable signal strength - and the signal bars are blue on the phone (Android 4.2 - Jellybean).

Giffgaff SIM - Phone identifies the carrier as O2 (which is correct), and signal bars are Orange - but again, cannot get phone to connect to the internet.

Orange PayG SIM - Signal bars are Green - and it connects to the mobile internet (get H internet)!!!

So it would appear that the hardware is working OK, but I cannot seem to get the APN configured correctly on either Vodafone or Giffgaff (O2). I have even tried disabling 3G to force the phone to connect via 2G, but same result - cannot connect.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be, and how I can get this working.  I don't really want to send the phone back (was a UK seller - so shouldn't be a problem), as it looks and feels really nice.  But without mobile data, my commutes to work will be very boring :Sad_face:

Cheers
Bcfaigg
P.S. I note that this phone is WCDMA 850/2100Mhz - whereas most UK phones are WCDMA 900/2100. Could this be relevant? My understanding is the phone still should work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, after spending a fair amount of time hunting around on the internet, I chanced on the solution to my problem on another thread on this forum:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-manufacturers-and-OS/Data-connection-on-a-Dapeng-A75/m-p/119093...

Credit to smccartney (Message 13 in above thread) for coming up with the (remarkably simple solution).

All I had to do to go to the Access Point Name ('APN') settings and change the Authentication Type from its default 'Not Set' to 'None'.  After that, my internet is working fine.

It would appear this may be an issue common to a number of Chinese phones, so hopefully this will be of use to other people in the same situation.

Regards

Bcfaigg

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

Thanks - worked for my Chinese phone too.

hi

My father recently passed away while he was on holiday in India and my brother brought back the phone he had been using - (Android) Canvas Doodle A102. It has a lot of photos of my dad on it and as I didn't have a smart phone I have started to use it. My problem is that there is no data connection and the menu does not support ''none'' in Authentication Type. Everything else on the phone works well i.e. calls and msging. I have monthly contract and both Tech Support on the phone and local Vodafone shop say settings are right. I have downloaded the My Vodafone App but when I try to open it I get ''Check your data connection'' ''It doesn't look like your mobile data connection is turned on''.

Can you please help with this. This is what the specs say re: frequency:

GSM : 900/1800 MHz HSDPA : 2100 MHz

Thanks. 

hrym
17: Community Champion

Using what, as far as I can tell, is a non-UK device here is always going to be tricky as there can be all kinds of inconsistencies.   If you want to get the photos off, a usb connection by cable to a pc would probably be the best method.

Yet, when I am at home, the phone has no problem connecting to the wifi of the bt home hub and taking me to the internet. It seems really strange - is there nothing that can be done? It's not a question of the contract not being activated properly or the phone setting needing a tweak? The phone is supposed to be G3 enabled. Is there something that could be downloaded to enable connection?

Thanks

hrym

A wifi connection is relatively straightforward.  A connection to mobile data, however, requires different procedures for different regions and networks.  A non-UK spec device is likely to have problems and there will be difficulty getting support as the networks here aren't familiar with it and the manufacturer isn't familiar with the UK requirements.   If you've entered the connection details manually (or are having trouble entering them) and it still isn't working, the chances are it never will, I'm afraid.  You're probably best off buying a UK spec phone.

Thanks for this but pleased to report that miraculously it is up and running after all! I found a table that said vodafone contract subscribers like me should have ''internet'' as apn not pp or wap or anything else. Also didn't tick any box in authentication type and it started working from last night.

hrym

Oh, well done!  Internet used to be the standard APN, but WAP has generally replaced it - and I've been using it on a contract phone for several years.  I rather suspect it's the blank authentication type that's brought it into life.   I had a feeling it was something like that but couldn't remember the terminology.

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Warning! All Star china phones contain Malware
I would send it back to the seller. 
https://grahamcluley.com/2014/06/chinese-android-malware/

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

Parkol95
1: Seeker
My phone is a m-horse n9000w Chinese galaxy note 3 and those settings won't work

hrym

Check the frequencies the device operates on.  If they're not the ones Vodafone uses, you may never be able to get a connection.