Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New vodafone smart tab 4

Hanjp123
2: Seeker
Hello

2 days ago i received a call from Vodafone offering me a free gift with no upfront cost. The lady explained it wass a new tablet the Vodafone smart tab 4 which is not yet out on the market and worth £350. I was offered this with next day delivery for £16 per month for 24 months with 2gb data. Now this sounded a good deal to me so the next day, as expected my tablet was delivered.

Now i have looked up the tablet online and have found it is offerrd on pay as you go for £125. If this is the case how is £16 a month x24 equalling a total of nearlg £400 justified? Have i been mislead and given incorrect information about the value of the tablet or have i got my wires crossed? Has anybody else recrntky accepted this gift?

I hope somebody can help me work this out.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Hannah
11 REPLIES 11

Hanjp123
Hello

2 days ago i received a call from Vodafone offering me a free gift with no upfront cost. The lady explained it wass a new tablet the Vodafone smart tab 4 which is not yet out on the market and worth £350. I was offered this with next day delivery for £16 per month for 24 months with 2gb data. Now this sounded a good deal to me so the next day, as expected my tablet was delivered.

Now i have looked up the tablet online and have found it is offerrd on pay as you go for £125. If this is the case how is £16 a month x24 equalling a total of nearlg £400 justified? Have i been mislead and given incorrect information about the value of the tablet or have i got my wires crossed? Has anybody else recrntky accepted this gift?

I hope somebody can help me work this out.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hannah,

The offers we have do vary and you can see the current deals for the Smart Tab 4 here.

Online, this is available for £20 a month on a 24 month contract and a £29 contribution towards the tablet. This is more than what you were offered.

The line rental covers the cost of the tablet as well as access to the Vodafone network with an inclusive amount of data. If you purchased this on Pay as you go, you’d then need to pay for top ups each month.

Thanks,

Jenny

Hanjp123
I understabd that. But the only reason i accepted because i was lied to and told the tablet was worth 350. How do i cancel and send it back

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hanjp123, 

Our Returns team are available from 9am tomorrow. A quick call on 191 will get you through and they can arrange this for you. 

Thanks, 

Kay

hrym
17: Community Champion

Bear in mind, too that the PAYG price doesn't include any data so, unless you want to use the device on wifi only (or tethered), it's going to cost more than £125.  From what's been said, it sounds as though £16 a month and no upfront cost is a pretty good deal.  If you want that device on a mobile data connection, it might be worth hanging onto it rather than returning it (though you do have that option).

Personally, I never accept over-the-phone offers simply because they're only valid for the duration of the call and you don't have the chance to research alternatives.  I'm not saying they're bad as such, but they may not be as good as you think, or the spec of the device may not be what you want.

Generally speaking, if an offer's being made, the chances are there's something not a milliom miles from it generally available and any extra cost can go towards the peace of mind of knowing you've committed to the right device.

I would just like to say that I too have been sent this tablet as a "reward" for a being a good customer. The call was very pushy and made it sound like a great deal and only glanced over the fact that I was signing up for a 24 month contract then a there. I accepted thinking I would get more information and some sort of contract to sign but only received the tablet, no details on what I had just signed up for. Unfortuantly I had to go a broad and missed the 14 days deadline to return the tablet, which I wasn't aware of in the first place. The deal may be slightly better than what is on offer commercially but it's still very pushy from Vodafone. I have sent a conplaint and unless I can get this contract canceled, neither I nor anyone in my family will ever be a Vodafone customers again. All this because of a call to "reward" me for being a great customer.

hrym

If you've taken out a new contract, you should get a welcome email.  These sometimes get directed to spam by over-enthusiastic mail systems, so it would be worth checking there.

Personally, I only accept an offer from a cold call if it's something I want and I know it's a better deal than I'd otherwise get.

It's very strange, after the phone call that lasted about 5 minutes, all I got was an email confirming when the delivery would be made but those have no info about the contract or even what is being delivered. So no extra information about the contract either by mail or with the tablet, just an extra £15 added to my bill every month that I now can't cancel for 24 month.

I feel bad because I usually never go for these deals, It just sounded like a gift from vodafone and on the spurr of the moment I said yes thinking I would have time to send it back if I didn't like it and not fully aware that by the time the call had ended I had signed up to a 24 month contract with a data plan I can't really use because there is not much signal at all on my train commute to work (which ironically goes past Newbury, where the vodafone headquaters are!). I wasn't aware I had 14 days to return it, I didn't think my contract would start until I activated the sim. I should have called them back as soon as I got the tablet and that's my misatke though.

What I don't like was the tactics they used to get me to agree to this. I don't approve of these sales techniques, I can afford to pay for the contract but some people can't and it worries me that you can get sold something like this so easily. 

Hi philipc,

Once the 14 day return period has expired we can't cancel the contract without an early exit fee being charged.

Thanks,

Matt B