Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not getting OTP from banks.

stuartc51
4: Newbie

Hi

I am not receiving any one time pass codes from the banks. I get texts from other people without any problems. Can anyone tell me is this a phone problem or a Vodafone problem. The phone is a HW-W718+.

Thanks

Stuart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your help I will give it up as a bad job. Phone works well other than that.

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Hi stuartc51,

I've had messages from RBS and Barclaycard before without any issues.

Not sure what a HW-W718+ phone is though? Could be an issue with the device though assuming it supports SMS messaging you should be ok

Nabs

Hi Nabs

The phone is a Chinese import, it receives usual text messages but not OTPs from banks. Do you know if there is anything different about these texts? The banks are Tesco and Santander, same problem with both.

Stuart

hrym

It appears to be a dual-SIM device, which generally aren't supported by Vodafone (though that doesn't mean they won't work).  You could also check what frequencies it operates on as Vodafone are migrating their 3G service from 2100mhz to 900mhz.  A lot of imported devices work on 850mhz and therefore don't get a 3G signal.  All that said, if the one-time codes are sent by SMS and you can normally receive texts, there shouldn't be a problem.  There might be a problem if they're MMS, though.  Issues arise here from time to time with data and MMS settings on Cubot devices, which are also dual-SIM - that may or may not have any relevance.

Nabs
@hrym the phone is working for sending/receiving to other people so it's nothing to do with the frequency of the device.

@stuartc51 which bank are you with?

hrym

@Nabs wrote:
@hrym the phone is working for sending/receiving to other people so it's nothing to do with the frequency of the device.

@NabsDoh!  Of course, the OP said that upfront, didn't they?  Forgot after I'd waded through pages of info on the device!

This is an odd one and there's this little voice in the back of my head nagging me about the fact that this is a dual-sim thing.  I can't see why that would affect these messages only, but the voice won't shut up.   The lack of a sender ID seems more plausible, though.

Hi

At some point I will try the sim in the other slot and see if that makes any difference!

hrym

That would be interesting.  Some dual-SIM devices require a 2G SIM in the second slot, so it may not work at all.  I also think you need to point the phone to it in settings.   I don't think any of the UK networks supply 2G SIMs as they all have 3G networks.  (This arose on another thread).

@hrym wrote:

That would be interesting.  Some dual-SIM devices require a 2G SIM in the second slot, so it may not work at all.  I also think you need to point the phone to it in settings.   I don't think any of the UK networks supply 2G SIMs as they all have 3G networks.  (This arose on another thread).

I have used the phone with two sims in and it recognises which is in which slot, but as you say it uses 2G in one and 3G in the other. It will receive calls to either sim and you select which to use for outgoing calls. It works quiet well for everything else it is just this problem that is a bit of a wotsit.

hrym

@stuartc51 wrote:
I have used the phone with two sims in and it recognises which is in which slot, but as you say it uses 2G in one and 3G in the other.

We're getting off your original topic, but this is quite handy to know.   I assume you're just using a stock SIM in both slots?  It's just that someone was asking about getting a 2G SIM and it may be they don't need to  - the phone just works on 2G only in that slot, but without a specific type of SIM?