Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Oneplus One & 4G Capabilities

Loony BoB
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm considering buying the Oneplus One.  I've been put off recently by the lack of LTE Band 20 as it means that Vodafone was one of the few providers that could not provide 4G for this phone.  However, upon looking at recent press releases by Vodafone, I find myself having a little hope.  I'm still not 100% sure though as this, I believe, is LTE-Advanced which uses a combination of Band 7 and Band 20.

Essentially my question is - assuming I am in the regions the new 4G setup is being pushed out to - will I be able to get 4G on a Oneplus One phone with Vodafone?  I'm refusing to leave Vodafone because of all the people in my Vodafone Family!

Oneplus One specs: www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-6327.php

9 REPLIES 9

Jebelious
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Vodafone is rolling out the combined 2.6 and 800mhz however their core LTE signal at the moment i believe is 800MhZ so in the majority of cities this will not work on 4G yet.

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

It depends where you live.

If anything other than a highly populated area, you may be waiting a while.

LTE20 (800MHz) is going to be the initial core roll out, as it reaches further and penetrates buildings better, ideal for getting to lots of people quickly.

LTE7 (2600MHz) which your suggested phone supports, is shorter range but higher bandwidth, making it ideal for dense population areas, or places that require maximum throughput.

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Loony BoB,

The OnePlus One phone would only work on the 2600MHz spectrum.

As this isn’t freely available yet and when it is, it’ll only be in densely populated areas, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get 4G.

Looking at the specs, it runs on frequency bands that are generally used in North and South America.

It’s unlikely you’ll be able to use any of the 800MHz spectrums available on any UK network for 4G.

Thanks,

Simon

Many thanks, all!  Good to know that it will still work with only Band 7.  I know it has extremely limited coverage, but I live in Edinburgh, so it's nice to know that it's still a possibility in the future that, should Vodafone deploy 4G to Edinburgh, I'll be able to take advantage of it.

Hi Simon,

Are you saying this is newver going to work with One Plus one handsets?

what are the plans of Vodafone for 2600MHZ spectrum? which is currently supported by One Plus One?

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @rbsub

The standard 800MHz spectrum for 4G will never work with the OnePlus One in the UK.

The 2600MHz spectrum will only offer a limited range. It’ll be implemented in densely populated areas, like football stadiums or arenas, where there’s a lot of people one particular place.

It wouldn’t be a viable option to rely on the 2600MHz 4G spectrum for every day 4G use.  

Thanks,

Simon

Mark, I have a problem with my Oneplus One and the Sure Signal Box, as in I cannot connect to it.

Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?

Many thanks

Maurizio

Hi 1210maurizio,

Welcome to the eForum. 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

Great! one of your adviser in sales confirmed that 4G will work on Oneplus1 ( after I had to give him Oneplus1 web, as he had no idea what phone it is), so I singed up for 1 year contract. Now I have 11months to go and no 4G, and your 3G coverage in central London is frankly crap. I've lost the interned completaly after I called the vodafone support and now I don't have internet at all....