Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sim card problems - no 4g only 3g

majoosta
4: Newbie
I have a Nexus 9 LTE tablet which I have put my 4G sim in but am getting increasingly frustrated at not getting 4G. I had an iPad air which I couldn't get on with so went back to good old Android but am totally at a loss as to why I cannot ever get 4G?

I have looked at the settings and they seem okay, however, when I select 'mobile plan' in settings I get the message 'Vodafone UK has no known provisioning website' (?)

After a little research I have come across sim cards suddenly not being provisioned. Could this be the case? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
34 REPLIES 34

KillerDr3w
2: Seeker

Another person here with a Nexus 9 that can't get a 4G signal! I bought my Nexus 9 from Amazon and it's an October build going from the serial number. I've tried in a really strong 4G area with a sim out of a Nexus 6 that gets a 4G signal but on the Nexus 9 the fastest it will get is 3G.

I tried an EE sim and it got a LTE signal straight away, so I suspect it's a compatibility issue between the Nexus 9 and Vodafone.

hrym
17: Community Champion

Checking the specs for the Nexus 9, it operates on frequencies from 850 mhz and up on 2 & 3G, but, as so often happens, only refers to bands for 4G without mentioning frequencies.   As far as I can see, Vodafone 4G operates on band 20, which would be compatible with the Nexus.  However, the network uses 800mhz for most of its 4G coverage and it's possible this is the issue - because the 4G frequency isn't mentioned in the specs, I can't be sure.  I think VF uses a higher frequency in built-up areas as well, for greater bandwidth, so it might be worth checking in a large city if you can.

Otherwise, as this isn;t a Vodafone-supported device (as far as I know), I think this is probably a question for HTC, who make it.   I'd be surprised if they'd issued something that isn't fully compatible with all the UK networks, though.

I've found a chart that maps out the LTE bands to MHz, and it looks like the device should work:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/cellulartelecomms/lte-long-term-evolution/lte-frequency-spectr...

KillerDr3w

The replacement Nexus 9 arrived this morning.

Exactly the same thing, 3G signal but won't get H, H+ or 4G/LTE in areas that the Nexus 6 does using the same SIM.  An EE SIM works fine and obtains a 4G/LTE signal straight away.

It looks like the Nexus 9 WILL NOT work with 4G on the Vodafone network at present.  I'm having to get an EE SIM card to use this device to its full potential.  I think this is poor of both HTC for releasing Google's flagship device without compatibility and poor of Vodafone for not supporting a device from a major company such as Google.

hrym

It does indeed sound liek a frequency issue and it'll be worth asking HTC whether they know about this and whether they have a fix planned.

Hi @KillerDr3w

We can only guarantee a device will work on a certain frequencies if it’s some we sell directly or support.

That said, the Nexus 9 should work on the 800MHz 4G frequency we use.

The SIM that you’re putting into the Nexus 9, is it a SIM that’s used on a phone price plan?

You may need to use a data only SIM card. You could try a Pay as you go Mobile broadband SIM.

Thanks,

Simon

I'm using a 4G sim which was a data only tablet plan which I got with my iPad. Although I didn't like iOS so reverted to buying a sim free Nexus 9. I, too, still have this issue.

Hi @majoosta,

So that we can look into this further please have a chat with our Live help team.

Thanks,

Matt

This is really weird. I have just got onto a train at Blackfriars and was browsing the net whilst waiting for the train to depart when I glanced up to the top right hand of the screen to see 'LTE' displayed! This has NEVER happened before. I noticed a considerable difference in browsing then the train pulled away and it went back to 3G. Hasn't returned to LTE since! This is weird. Only 3G again now.

And before anyone asks, I have a 4G Vodafone Nexus 5 from Japan too and almost always have a 4G signal while my Nexus 9 is always on 3G.

Aaaaaah, it was lovely having that brief fleeting minute or two with LTE.............😦

@majoosta

I suspect you were connecting on 2600MHz / LTE-Advanced at Blackfriars, and as soon as you left coverage instead of dropping down to 800MHz / LTE you went to 3G.