cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart 3: Vodafone 975. How do I bulk delete e-mail trash?

SuperStomper
4: Newbie

I've discovered by accident that any email messages I delete simply go into a trash folder. How do I bulk delete the messages in this trash folder (i.e. in the same way that I can bulk delete them from my in box) as it is taking too long deleting them all individually? I can't find any settings that control this. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi SuperStomper,

I’ve checked the Smart III User Guide and it’s not possible to delete emails in bulk.

You’d need to delete each one manually.

Cheers,

Andy

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

hrym
17: Community Champion

If you go in to the menu (within email), is there a delete option?  I don't know the specific menu structure, but if there's going to be a bulk (tick-box) option, that's where I'd expect it to be.

No, that's what I said. I can delete messages individually but not in bulk. I've checked again and I can't bulk delete any email messages, only text messages. It's really frustrating individually deleting EVERY email in my in-box folder and in my Bulk messages folder (which is actually unsolicited junk mail) and then having to delete every one again form my trash folder!!!

hrym

Ah, right.  In the email app on my Samsung, there's a tick-box option if you go into the menu, rather than deleting individually by long-pressing each message.

I also have one of the basic Vodafone devices (doesn't do email, so don't know) and the bulk delete option is SMS is all or nothing, which often isn't much help.

The only other possibility is that there's an option within settings to delete from the server when deleted from the device.  That might sort it, though I've always found this a pain when I make a mistake, so don't use it.

Thanks anyway. I don't want to delete items from the server as I also pick up my emails on my home computer.

Perhaps someone at Vodafone may be able to provide an answer. Even if it's only - sorry it can't do that.

(PS I got rid of my Samsung because it was too smart for me and kept doing things I didn't want it to do!)

hrym

If I've understood correctly which phone you have, the full manual is here.  The entry for email is quite short and not hugely helpful, but if there are any options for bulk delete, I'd expect them to be in the menu for the app.  I suspect, though, that if you were to detlete on the phone, the messages would also delete on the server, so proceed with caution.  If you have deleted on the server by another route, does the sync then delete on the phone?

If you're accessing email on more than one device, it's an idea to use IMAP rather than POP3 as it keeps them all in sync.  Frankly though, after years of POP3, I found it rather clunky and went over to Gmail via the dedicated app (on the phone, still use MS Outlook on the pc).  You can set Gmail up to collect messages from other services, to send as-from any address and to reply from the address to which any incoming was sent, so you'll still appear to be using the normal address and don't have to update everyone with a new address.

The Gmail app doesn't require any setting up and allows you to manage your messages and folders easily.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi SuperStomper,

I’ve checked the Smart III User Guide and it’s not possible to delete emails in bulk.

You’d need to delete each one manually.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for confirming that. I'd already downloaded and scowered the Smart 3 guide for help with this issue.( I have found out how to do some other things that aren't listed in the guide by trail and error - and help from my sister! LOL )