cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Swapping SD card to different phone brand.

B-12345
11: Established
11: Established

As I have apps stored on my SD, say if I were to put the SD card in a LG phone after a Samsung, does everything just work after? It appears some app info is stored on the device regardless of where the app is stored.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi, I recently swapped SD card to another phone and no the apps didn't just work for me, I had to download the ones I wanted to the newer phone. When I put the card back in the other phone everything worked OK.

I am not sure but I think putting them on the SD card is just to free up internal memory on the phone, not to make the apps swappable.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

63johnw
Hi, I recently swapped SD card to another phone and no the apps didn't just work for me, I had to download the ones I wanted to the newer phone. When I put the card back in the other phone everything worked OK.

I am not sure but I think putting them on the SD card is just to free up internal memory on the phone, not to make the apps swappable.

Thank you! Is it okay to have them on the SD card and then download them on the new phone? Like, it won't mess up or anything if some app data is already there?

63johnw
Hi, didn't seem to mess anything up on mine.

jeffkinn

I have had issues with this in the past, not with apps but photos and music as different brands have different folder structures.

Personally I'd make sure that everything from the SD card was backed up and then use the new phone to format the card and copy the data back on to it using whatever sync software comes with the phone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks guys