Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transferring my number to new micro sim

PaulineH
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

It seemed straightforward in the Vodafone shop yesterday - a new micro sim to replace my old one for a new smart phone.  The staff member who helped me said that it should take a couple of hours to activate "but in a very few cases and hardly ever, it may take up to 24 hours".  So far it has taken 36 hours and still no activation.  When I eventually jumped through all the hoops to talk to 191 and waited an hour and half for them to call me, the person I spoke to said that my request was in the system but that there had been a system breakdown the previous night - "so it should be done in two or three more hours".  That was five hours ago.  No progress.  And I have since had a quick decko at all the forum posts that suggest this isn't at all unusual.  Confidence is ebbing away now.  Surely it should be easier than this???!!

Update at 08:38 08/01/15.  Still no progress.  And now I am confused.  Branch said switch old phone off  and new phone on, Customer Services (and I clarified this three times to the lady's chagrin) said keep old phone on and only switch new phone on when signal goes from old, website says both phones should be switched on and forums say both should be switched off. Can anyone please tell me which way it should be???

3 REPLIES 3

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

There can be delays in the system, but sometimes it's just a matter of getting the phone to register with the network.   The simplest way of doing this is to take the SIM out (with the phone on), give it a moment, then put it back in again.

If this doesn't work, talk to Live Chat (Contact Us at the bottom of the page)  and see if they can re-try the registration process.

Thank you for this but I went in to the branch today and was told that no payg micro-sims will have been activated since I was last there (48hrs ago) as the system has been down.  Not the info that 191 gave, they just said that there had been a problem but inferred it was resolved and I would be activated last night.  I am beginning to think that the fault lies in being payg - if it had been a  contract sim the branch would have been able to activate it there and then "but the computer couldn't cope with the volume if we were doing the payg as well so that has to be done by the payg team". I think that speaks for itself. Well I'll just wait and see now....

Hi @PaulineH 

Please see the latest Pay as you go information regarding this.

If you’re still experiencing an issue, our Live help team will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Sarah