Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unsolicited pop-up concerning connection

skubblers
1: Seeker

Hello all!

I use a Vodafone Smart 4 Turbo, and it has, inexplicably, developed a tendency to want to throw a pop-up in my face whenever I unlock it.

It gives me the following information: "Sorry, something's not working. It may be your connection." in a little white box, and... that's it. Just nothing else. I can really provide no answer as to why this is occurring. My only theory is that the internet where I am right now can be a bit touch-and-go, and the set is having trouble connecting anyway.

Unrelated but equally disconcerting: I have used the settings to turn off sounds when I unlock the screen while the phone is not in silent mode (To clarify, this problem obviously doesn't occur in silent mode.)

In a really quite baffling move, the phone has decided that it just doesn't care about what I want; when I unlock the screen, it still makes a ton of noise. Unchecking the unlock sounds button in the settings does nothing.

I wouldn't really mind, but it's one of those things where the phone's just started doing it for no discernible reason, leaving me in doubt about what it's going to do next.

Is the Vodafone Smart 4 Turbo going to gain sentience and vaporize me?

20 REPLIES 20

Retired-Jamian
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @skubblers

Welcome to the eForum.

You can find information on repairing a faulty phone here.

Alternatively, take your phone to the nearest Vodafone store for assistance.

Thanks,

Jamian

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

It's difficult to diagose issues at a distance but, as a first step, I'd be inclined to try a factory reset (don't forget to back up your content first).   This would be part of the repair process anyway, so you won't have lost anything.  The Smart 4 range is fairly short on storage, so it could also be that.   If you can get the phone working properly again, try giving it an sd card.   I was using a Smart 4 Power a while back and it rather neatly incorportates cards into the general memory pool, rather than simply treating them like an external hard drive.

Getting unsolicited popup on my handset, Vodafone SMART 4 TURBO.

So far I have discussed with Vodafone in store and via phone; they advised this is an unknown error. The phone has had SIM swaps, factory reset, memory card added / taken out.  The phone was repaired and the error message and loud noise that occurs with the error popup was not resolved.  The phone was unusable and was only 8 months old, cannot make/receive calls or texts .  The phone has been swapped twice since the repair so I have had 2 swaps but these 2 new Vodafone SMART 4 TURBOs also have the same fault and are unusable.  On visiting the Vodafone store where this phone and contract was purchased, I have been advised to send off for repair again.  This new swapped

Vodafone SMART 4 TURBO phone is only 2 weeks old.   I don't believe a further repair will resolve and am waiting on further contact back from the Vodafone store on other options. 

drey_p
16: Advanced member

After you did the factory reset on the device, did you reinstall your apps?  It may be an idea to do another factory reset and not restore anything for a bit and see if you get the error message again.  

If you don't, then install the apps one at a time, waiting a while between each just to try and narrow down if one of them may be causing the issue.

PWIAC

Thank you for your reply.  After the factory reset I didnt install any apps.

When going to the app store to download an app the error popup and loud noise came back immediately. Then reoccurred afetr every unlock thereafter.

drey_p

It sounds like something the Google Play Store may be triggering.  Up to that point, were you able to browse the internet okay with no warnings?

PWIAC

I have spent 6 weeks with vodafone diagnosing this issue. I cannot answer 100% if that option was tried / eliminated as we have had 3 Vodafone phones all with the same error.

As you may be able to imagine, after 6 weeks it has become very  frustrating.  For the last 2 weeks I have not switched the phone on as much as the noise is too loud / disturbing as well as the error popup is only removed if you power off / on each time which is very time consuming .

The last swapped phone with this error was new as of 1st June 2015.

drey_p

Do a factory reset again.  Don't install anything, don't even log into the Play Store.

Leave it for a while, see how it behaves.  Connect to the internet, see if that works without giving you an error.

Have you had a new SIM card at any point in this process?  If not, how old is your existing one?

PWIAC

3 new SIMs in the process, last one 2 weeks old