Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone 830 - I Can't Sync The Phone With Outlook

ssshan
Not applicable
The PC sync software comes preloaded on the phone. On first installation the necessary software was automatically loaded on to the PC.

I start the software on the PC and link the Vodafone 830 phone with a cable. The phone is shown as connected, but the synchronisation does not happen.

I get the following error message when the synchronisation process starts:

'Operation Hint:

Sync Failed

Operation is refused
The operation is refused by Microsoft Outlook because of interior error, please restart your computer to remove this error'

I have started the PC and Outlook many times but the problem is not solved

Can you please help as I need to use this phone and get my contacts and calenders synched from my Outlook to this phone
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

I can't help directly with the 830 - although planning to get one which is why I am following the forum - but maybe can help with my 12 months experience of the 620.  I was new to windows phone when I got it.  At the time it was win phone 8, now 8.1, and my PC was running win 8, now 8.1.  It took me a while to sort myself out but now sorted I am very happy.

As far as I know you can't sync calender and people directly from pc to phone.  Its a Microsoft thing not a voadafone thing.  You have to set up your PC to synchronise them with  outlook "in the cloud" using a microsoft account and then tell your phone to go look there - settings, email and accounts.  You don't have to sync email, you can just do people and calender.  I was a bit grumpy about that, I had come from a Palm which did sync PC to phone and I was a bit reluctant to put contacts in the cloud but at all seems to be OK and is seamless.  As an added bonus I can get my ipad to sync its calendar as well.

The other issue I had was getting duplicates on sync and a general 'mess' with pictures and music.  I think that has now been sorted in win phone 8.1, but after much grief a year ago I deleted both of the phone sync apps from my PC (for some reason windows 8 had 2 apps) and now I just plug the phone in by USB and use windows explorer to copy the files I want.   100% reliable.

You might find that your difficulties stem from the pc end of things if 2 apps are opening at once when you plug the phone in - maybe run task manager (ctrl-alt-delete, select it from the list) and on the processes tab see what opens up when the phone is plugged in.

Hope that helps and I will be interested in the outcome.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi ssshan, welcome to the eForum!

This isn't an error message I'm familiar with at all. I've checked with a couple of others here and they're also unaware of this.

Firstly, can you try uninstalling the software from the computer and reinstalling again from the phone for me? this will help to confirm that nothing was corrupted in the install.

Next, can you make sure that there is nothing running on the device, even down to services like Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS, just to ensure they do not prevent the sync from running.

If it's still happening, can you try a hard reset of the handset:

- Switch the handset on
- Whilst powered up, remove the SIM card and battery
- Put the battery back in and switch on
- Wait a couple of minutes, then remove the battery again
- Replace the SIM and battery and switch back on

Finally, is there any error code with the alert message, and does it show as a windows error or something specific to the synch software?

I'm confident we can find out what's happening for you. In the meantime, if you've only just got this handset - a hunch from the fact you're now installing and trying to sync - don't forget to check out our Vodafone 830 help centre for information on common queries.

ssshan
Not applicable
Hi ssshan, welcome to the eForum!

This isn't an error message I'm familiar with at all. I've checked with a couple of others here and they're also unaware of this.

Firstly, can you try uninstalling the software from the computer and reinstalling again from the phone for me? this will help to confirm that nothing was corrupted in the install.

Next, can you make sure that there is nothing running on the device, even down to services like Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS, just to ensure they do not prevent the sync from running.

If it's still happening, can you try a hard reset of the handset:

- Switch the handset on
- Whilst powered up, remove the SIM card and battery
- Put the battery back in and switch on
- Wait a couple of minutes, then remove the battery again
- Replace the SIM and battery and switch back on

Finally, is there any error code with the alert message, and does it show as a windows error or something specific to the synch software?

I'm confident we can find out what's happening for you. In the meantime, if you've only just got this handset - a hunch from the fact you're now installing and trying to sync - don't forget to check out our Vodafone 830 help centre for information on common queries.

----------------

Thanks for your suggestions Dave.

Have tried all the options suggested by you - in the same sequence you have suggested too. Still no luck I am still getting the same error message.

The error message seems to come from the phone/sync software. This is not an error message from Windows.

There is nothing on the Vodafone 830 help centre on this matter to help.

Anything else you can suggest, please!

Thanks

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there ssshan,

I have an idea. Can you please you please check that all your contacts in Outlook that their structure match the field entry catergories in our 830's contact database? For instance, if you have a custom field entry called 'secondary home number' in Outlook, this won't necessarily sync properly into your 830's database.

Please try this and let us know how you fare! Don't forget that we have a Vodafone 830 Help page that may be a good bookmark if you need help using the phone.

Daz

eForum Team

ssshan
Not applicable
Hi there ssshan,

I have an idea. Can you please you please check that all your contacts in Outlook that their structure match the field entry catergories in our 830's contact database? For instance, if you have a custom field entry called 'secondary home number' in Outlook, this won't necessarily sync properly into your 830's database.

Please try this and let us know how you fare! Don't forget that we have a Vodafone 830 Help page that may be a good bookmark if you need help using the phone.

Daz

eForum Team

-----------

Thanks Daz. Unfortunately there is no option that allows you to map fields. The sync is still not working. Anything else you can suggest?

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi ssshan

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear that this still isn't working and appreciate how frustrating this must be for you.

You will need to change the details in Outlook. Can you check as Daz has mentioned above that you don't have any extra fields that the 830 may not recognise.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any further questions we'll be happy to help you

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

ssshan
Not applicable
Hello Wayne, I am currently using only the standard fields in Outlook. There are no incompatible fields that I can see in Outlook which could be causing a problem.

Also I am not able to see anything on the phone that maps fields from Outlook to the phone.

Not sure how to proceed from here

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi ssshan,

There won't be any user-enabled feature to map fields as such, but that's part of the sync application anyway.

You're not using Windows 7 by any chance...? :unsure:

Let us know - if so, you may have to await an updated version of the Suite :wacko:

Other than this, can you try synchronising a very small number of contacts first? Maybe even try a couple to begin with... any difference?

Daz

eForum Team

ssshan
Not applicable
Hello Daz,

No I am not using Windows 7

Small no. of entries not synching with phone either :)

Do you know when the updated version is going to available.

I am quite disappointed with the use & user experience of the Vodafone branded phones. This is not a good situation when you are used to the Nokias, SE's and iphones of the world.

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello Ssshan

Thanks for continuing to update us. At this point it may be worth attempting to sync with another computer just to identify where the core problem lies (i.e. device or Outlook), if it turns out to be the device in all cases then we may have to do yet another re-install of all drivers and V830 files.

There has been no mention of an update release date as yet, however please advise us if you can run the above test.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team