Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart 4 Encryption Issue

agag
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I'm looking to get my work emails via my Vodafone Smart 4 and this requires me to encrypt my phone. However, when I attempt to encrypt it, the green android robot symbol comes up on on screen and nothing happens. It does say that encryption may take up to an hour and that I need to leave my phone on charge, but on one occassion I left it overnight and still nothing had happened - just the android robot screen. 

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @agag,

I've done some reading up on this issue.

Some people have turned off Wi-Fi on the phone and then tried the process again. This usually helps it complete.

Others have mentioned the need to clear all resources the phone is using. So close down all the apps that are open and then try to encrypt it.

Thanks,

Matt B

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for getting back to me. I've tried doing both of the things that you suggest, but unfortunately I still have the same problem...

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @agag 

If you get in touch with our Live help team available here, we can help further.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi agag

Did you manage to resolve your issue as I have exactly the same problem

Thanks

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

No, unfortunately not, but I need to try contacting the Live help team as suggested by Sarah - just haven't had chance yet. Let me know if you find a solution - it's driving me mad!!

Thanks @agag

I contacted the Tech Support team at vodafone who asked me to contact my companies IT department.  I contacted my IT department and they told me to try to reset the factory settings on my phone, which I did and tried again but still no joy.  I am sure this is a vodafone issue though.  I will try speaking to other IT people within my company before I reply back to Vodafone again, will let you know if I get anywhere!

Thanks

Gillian

hrym
17: Community Champion

When you did the factory reset, did you allow your apps etc to reload?   I suspect this is a resource issue - the Smart range is not particularly well-endowed in that area - and it may be that you need all the memory you can give the device.

I had a Smart 4 Power for a while and it benefitted hugely from an external SD card.   It has a neat trick of not treating this as simply external storage but integrating it into the main memory pool.

Yes, the standard Apps that came with the phone had updated.  I had to reinstall others that I had added myself but waited until after I tried to encrypt the phone again first.  I have checked the storage in my phone and I have only used 625MB, I have 1.70GB available, but maybe that is not enough.  I will try with an external SD card, otherwise may need to get a new phone!.  Thanks for the tip

Kind Regards

Gillian

hrym

I've successfully encrypted a Smart 4 Power.  I factory reset it before I did it, so all my apps had gone and it was running "bare".   It didn't take long.