Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart 4 Turbo - Managing Data with a Mac

davidinkendal
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I've just bought my first smartphone and wish to manage its data using my iMac as it has a much bigger screen and a full-sized keyboard. However, none of the software 'out there' seems to be able to connect up to it, so is there a special Vodafone iMac App I can use for this? I could use a Windows XP PC if necessary but prefer my iMac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

If you go to People on your handset and then settings, select Import/Export and follow the onscreen instructions to copy the contacts to your GMail account.  Once you have done that, when you add any new contacts, make sure that your select your GMail account - you don't need their email address.  That way, if you lose your phone or it gets damaged, you will still have your contacts.

Having your contacts backed up to GMail is no different from having them stored on your phone, so yes, you will be able to text them from your handset as long as they have a phone number.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

drey_p

Hi there

What data on the phone are you trying to manage?  If it is things like contacts, these should be synced with your GMail account and any changes you make online to your contacts should sync over to the handset.

PWIAC

Yes, thanks, it's mainly my contacts list, so I need to know how to bring my existing phone contacts (none of which currently have email addresses) into my Gmail account. And will it then be possible to send texts to my Gmail contacts using my phone?

drey_p

If you go to People on your handset and then settings, select Import/Export and follow the onscreen instructions to copy the contacts to your GMail account.  Once you have done that, when you add any new contacts, make sure that your select your GMail account - you don't need their email address.  That way, if you lose your phone or it gets damaged, you will still have your contacts.

Having your contacts backed up to GMail is no different from having them stored on your phone, so yes, you will be able to text them from your handset as long as they have a phone number.

PWIAC

Thanks, it's so simple when you know how! It's obviously Android stuff rather than a Vodafone issue, so I guess the Android website is the best place to go.

drey_p

Yep - always easy when you know how! You should now be able to edit and modify your contacts in your GMail account which is so much less fiddly than the phone itself.  Within a few seconds of modifying the contacts in your GMail account you'll have the latest ones on your phone.  If you find you have duplicates of the same contact (one on the phone and one in your GMail account) you just need to change the view in the People app and select the GMail account. 

Also, if you need to reset your phone or you get another Android device, the moment you sign into your GMail account, the contacts will copy across. 

Feel free to pop back here if you need any further help or advice - between the user community and the Vodafone eForum Team there is a really good knowledge base!

PWIAC