cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart 4 mini settings being reset.

Syncopator
4: Newbie

Over thast few days, during which I have been downloading some applications, several settings have repeatedly been changed.

The 'phone has been set to Silent, it has been set to Vibrate, and the volume slider set to minmum.  

I am sure that this behaviour is related to the downloading activity, but why/how?  A software fault perhaps?  

10 REPLIES 10

Nabs
17: Community Champion
Hi Syncopator,
Have you noticed any specific apps causing this behaviour or is it any app you download?

Nabs

I can't say.  Some of the applications at first weren't downloaded.  A second attempt to do so was successful.  I don't remember the exact sequence.  

I'm now faced with the data limit warningdespite having credit in the account.

An on-line discussioin with a Vodafone person resulted in the suggestion that I take it in to a Vodafone shop and get them to check it out.  

I am beggining to get the feeling that Vodafone is yet another company with which I shall discontinue to use.

hrym

If the apps didn't download, they won't have used any data, though they might have used some if the download failed due to the network connection.  It's generally best to install and update over wifi if you can, due to the data usage involved.  If you need to use the mobile network, make sure you have a strong and reliable signal first.  You can check the app size on Play before you decide to proceed.

I've had similar issues to what you describe, but they were caused by catching the volume bar when I picked the phone up, or the Silent button when sliding the notification panel down.  That's on a device with active buttons that the top of the screen, though.  On the Smart, I have a feeling that the buttons are just links to the Settings menus, so it may be more difficult to do.  If there are apps that are changing the settings, that would be an issue for the developer, not Vodafone.   The changes wouldn't affect data usage and I assume everything goes back to normal once you put them as you want them?   If not, have a look every time you open an app until you track down the culprit, then contact the developer.  Some apps are quite poorly written.

I had an on-line session with the support people.  It was suggested that I took it into a Vodafone shop and have them investigate.  

There followed 'phone calls to Vodafone and another visit to the shop (Vodafone's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing).  But there's no point in going into details ..... 

The end result is that all the problems seem to have been recitified.  

Apropos Wifi, point taken.  I tried to enable it on my router last night without success.  I shall wait unitl I regain some patience and look into it.  

Thank you.

hrym

It depends on what router you have, but I'd expect it to be on normally by default.  If you're having to turn it on, make sure you change the password from the default (as well as the administrator password).   Write them down somewhere!  As regards security, set WPA2, which is the strongest.

Your phone should pick up the network and ask you for the password.   Once you've logged in once, it should reconnect automatically every time you come within range.   When you're out, you should have  access to Openzone via My Vodafone, but there are very few hotspots (a lot of the ones that show up are for BT Braodband customers only) and I prefer The Cloud - if you donwload their FastConnect app, you can set up a free account from there.  Quite a few places use O2 (Costa Coffee, for instance) and when you've signed into that in one location, it'll pick it up anywhere it's available.

I reset the router to factory default and started again.

Enabled WiFi in the 'phone's settings.  It then went through its perfomance of  "Authenticating", then told me "Saved, secured with WPA2".  

After a few seconds, it started "Authenticating" again.  Once it seemed satisfied that it was, again, saved and secured, I went to the home page, Applications, and clicked on Chrome.  

I was then informed that "You are offline, Wi-Fi and mobile data are turned off., The page can be loaded once you connect to a network.  Error code:  ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED"

Checked - Wi-Fi is ON.  Mobile data is ON.

What next? :manmad:

hrym

You could try telling it to forget the network and then starting again.  The other possibility is a lack of resources.  I'm currently trialling a Smart 4 Power,  which has similar memory to the Mini and it has a very stable wifi connection.

If wifi's on and connected, you should see the wifi symbol on the status bar at the top of ther screen.  If it's isn't there, make sure a) that wifi's turned on and b) that you are actualyl connected to the relevant network - tap on it and then on Connect (though it should pick it up automaticalyl if it has is saved).

If both mobile data and wifi are turning themselves off spuriously, it sounds like a repeat of the issue you started this thread with.  Again, it could be a resources issue, or you may need to do a factory reset (back up your content first).

Told it to use its in-built amnesia facility, jumped through the hoop (a couple more times) and, finally, it's connected.   

Thank you for your help. 

hrym

Fantastic news :smileyhappy: