Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart Prime 6 - Settings>Security option

BDWatt
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I knew it was too good to be true.  Now I know why this phone was £79.  It's because some of the basic functions do not work.  Point and case. Security option.  By clicking on settings then security only takes you back to your home screen.  You cannot change any settings. Installations is blocked.

"For security, your phone is set to block all installation of apps obtained from unknown sources"

then it gives me 2 options.

Cancel or settings.

By clicking settings it does nothing. It takes you back to the previous screen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nabs
17: Community Champion
48 REPLIES 48

hrym

Go into Settings, scroll down to Location and Security and check the "install from untrusted sources" box.   Beware on apps that comes from unofficial sources, though, as they're the most likely source of malware.

Edit: sorry, just re-read your post and I see what you mean.   I think you need to take this into a Vodafone shop and ask them to look at it.   It rather sounds like an error in the firmware.  I can see why that setting is on by default, but not why it should be locked.

I have exactly the same problem. Bought a Prime 6 at lunchtime and spent an hour or so setting it up. Final thing I planned to do was put a lock on it. Went to access the Security settings and it just closes/crashes out back to the apps list.

I took it back to the store and they checked with another brand new device which had the same problem.

So currently no way to protect the phone - can't beleive they meant to send it out like that?

AtlantaTaylor
3: Seeker

I have the exact same problem trying problem with trying to add a password onto my phone! 

It also will not let me uninstall any app I install!

Not great at all if it's a common problem.

You are correct.   It also doesn't allow you to uninstall any apps you have downloaded from the play store.  I have taken this phone back to the shop and exchanged it for a new one.  I did not leave the shop. I told them to check the phone themselves that way they knew I was n't at fault.  And the same thing happened.  There is NO security on this phone. The phone is pointless having as you cannot secure any important details like email, paypal, ebay, bank card or details.  You have no protection whatsoever.

The shop assistant told me I have a 14 day cooling off period, so insisted I keep the phone for a week while they send an email to their HQ and report this problem and hopefully within a week or 2 they will do a security update to the phone to fix the problem.  Personally I will not hold my breath.  I suspect in 6 days I will be going back into the store and getting my money back.  Problem is for me I used 2000 freebee rewards to purchase a £20 off voucher.

I have been told these freebee rewards are non refundable.  Well i hope that is not true because I did not spend over £200 to grow 2000 points for vodafone to screw me over with a dud phone...

I will not go quietly into the night.  Vodafone need to sort this out.

I went back to the shop today, and they told me it was to do with the new android system and that the new LG phone is having the same problem. A new update is expected to fix these two problems. (Whether this happens or not is another thing!)

Hope this Helps

Well I really hope they do it before my 14 day cooling off period is expired otherwise this phone will be going back.  It's a shame though as it's a great looking phone otherwise.

hrym

It almost sounds as though this thing has got out with beta firmware on it.  I've fed this back as well.

thesoupdragon

Personally I would return the Phone now and keep an eye out for a public statement saying the issue is fixed.

You don't want to risk missing your return deadline...

AtlantaTaylor
I recently bought a new Vodafone prime 6 and every time I click the "security" tab in settings it just takes me to my home page!

Please help as I am currently unable to password protect my phone.

A