Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone and Android OS

arturox
4: Newbie

SWMBO has just moved to a Smartphone, it is run by Android.

I want to be able to back stuff from it to her PC for safety sake.

On my Nokia Smartphone this is easy peasy using a number of methods... Win file explorer, the 'Nokia Suit', or the App I purchased to get at everything, 'MobileEdit'.

Even though I have an Android Tablet, I don't find the Android OS particularly friendly or intuitively interfaced.

So she has a Vodafone Smart 4 Mini (VF 785), where does this poxy OS store Texts, MMS etc. As I can't find them anywhere on the phone using Win explorer.?

Thanks

Arturo X

PS: MobileEdit doesn't seem to be very happy trying to interface with Android phones... Maybe I'm missing something, dunno?

Ax

47 REPLIES 47

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
You would need a third party app to back up text messages. Try SMSBackup+ as it's a free app that backs things up to your gmail account.

PWIAC

I'll try that app later, but it immediately raises a question, will it back up to other places other than Gmail.

Thanks

Ax

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Yes it does backup somewhere else as well. SMSBackup creates a file on the phone in a location of your choosing and you can copy that file to your PC plugging in a USB cable. You can do the same for call logs as well.

In fact you can copy the entire phone memory to the PC.

Android lets you do whatever you want in the way that you want. There are no restrictions but that does require just a little bit more thought from the user.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

SMSBackup, then copy off the phone to the PC works for now, and using XML Notepad things can be done to it.

Thanks to all for the input.

Ax

jeffkinn

Glad we could help - that's the power of this forum.

I'm interested to know why you are so against the cloud and gmail.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Personal preference based on 32 years messin' with computer stuff.

We all have our foibles and reasons... And I'll admit to having loads of both.  :smileyhappy:

Ax

jeffkinn

I was at a conference for my favourite accounting software this week. The company, which is a reseller and not the author, has just invested half a million pounds in creating a cloud solution for their customers. 

I use the cloud a lot - I seem to have acquired huge volumes of cloud storage with a variety of providers.

Please come back to the forum anytime for advice, help or to help others.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

All the Computers, Tablets & Phones, here at home are LANed to a NAS system, so we do have backups though not in the Cloud.

I hang around the VF forum a lot, as in another subject, I've been battling for over a year now to get something VF messed up fixed.

Get a lot of platitudes but no fix, anyway that's another place.  :smileyfrustrated:

Thanks again folks.

Arturox

jeffkinn

But I'm sure that you know that having a backup and the original data in the same location isn't secure enough. There have to be copies off site in some way to ensure data integrity.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png