Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone smart 4 is rubbish

nkelshaw
2: Seeker
Well there isn't even an appropriate board topic for Vodafone own brand. Says it all.
Having had a Vodafone smart 4 power for 2 months I would like to ask if any one in Vodafone actually tested this complete load of rubbish before launching?

1. After power off and restart the phone deletes the icons randomly from the screen. Eg whenever battery life has run out you spend an hour rebuilding screens every week. Or can never set a power down option from the android menu.

2. The small memory capacity didn't worry me as I bought a SD card memory expansion only to find that not all apps can be switched to the SD card and I can't get anywhere near the amount of apps I need. Power user? Not. Worth another £50 on price for us able memory.

Recommend Vodafone? Certainly not.
18 REPLIES 18

hrym
17: Community Champion

Some time last year, PC Pro magazine did a comparison between the Moto G and the current iPhone.   There were some obvious differences, but the manufacturing costs were remarkably similar.   The main differences was the selling price, the iPhone being percveived as a premium brand (which was, ironically, due in part to its premium price).

I would not do a comparison on the Moto G and the iPhone because there isnt any, As for costs we all know the iPhone is way over priced but Apple are just milking it because even they know sooner or later they will get left behind by the next new thing. The Smart 4 is cheap but poor quality I detected some lag on the device I tested, Low res screen and the Camera is one of the worst I have seen, On the one I tested I noted the Time Lapse function was apart of it, Even that was a bad experience giving the user different speeds in numerical format but no slo-mo, The sound quality was like listening to a tin can, And it was heavy for a mobile phone, I found the Moto E to be the best in this cheap low end range of handsets, I also thought the EE Kestrel was a decent handset for the price, My advice would be to look around if your on a budget and not be led down the garden path by clever advertising or some poor review that does not tell you the truth and their are many.

63johnw
Hi, why don't you send it off for repair under warranty?

nkelshaw
Because its not broken its an unacceptable specification.

nkelshaw
Well its an Alcatel OEM so how does ee being huwaei differ ?

nkelshaw
Well in summary too cheap and damaging to the Vodafone brand. Complete crap. You expect a certain competence and this product doesn't even come up to Nokia brick standards.

Vodafone are damaged by the poor customer services and poor standards in how it deals with mass volumes of orders, It is also damaged due to the faulty payment system which sends people the wrong message about "Trust"

of which I now do not!, The signal is nothing to be proud about either, As for the own branded handsets well I think we are all in agreement that they are utter garbage and it would be of use to Vodafone if they thought about where they go next time, I think most would pay an extra £10 for a better handset one that works and is a "pleasure to use" also one that offers fairly decent headphones would be a nice idea, To Vodafone's credit though they are at this time the cheapest network to sell the Samsung S4 Mini which for £125 is not bad at all.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@nkelshaw 

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted take a look at our Vodafone Repairs Thread. This can be found here.

DaveCD

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Alcatel are awful,

However Yulong who made the smart 4 and smart 4 were better devices when I reviewed them. 

Vodafone needs to stay with the coolpad/yulong devices over alcatel. 

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK.