Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone smart 4 is rubbish

nkelshaw
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Well there isn't even an appropriate board topic for Vodafone own brand. Says it all.
Having had a Vodafone smart 4 power for 2 months I would like to ask if any one in Vodafone actually tested this complete load of rubbish before launching?

1. After power off and restart the phone deletes the icons randomly from the screen. Eg whenever battery life has run out you spend an hour rebuilding screens every week. Or can never set a power down option from the android menu.

2. The small memory capacity didn't worry me as I bought a SD card memory expansion only to find that not all apps can be switched to the SD card and I can't get anywhere near the amount of apps I need. Power user? Not. Worth another £50 on price for us able memory.

Recommend Vodafone? Certainly not.
18 REPLIES 18

dazm33
4: Newbie

You pay for what you get these days, Any own branded handsets will need looking at closely as for thhe Vodafone range the makers of the handsets are more than likely a family run business in a ghost town in China which is fine however the technology will be poor as will the components, The only handset with a networks name on it I would look at is the EE Kestral as the handset is made by Huawei a well known company, The choice is yours

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@dazm33 wrote:

the makers of the handsets are more than likely a family run business in a ghost town in China

Not quite.  The company that makes the Smart 4, is the same company that makes Alactel phones and has produced LCD TV modules for Samsung.

The Smart is actually quite a good handset, I have been using one for a while and haven't had any issues with it.   You say that you get what you pay for and that is correct - you get a great handset at a reasonable price.

PWIAC

Alcatel handsets are badly made handsets which is why they failed to make any new freinds in the mobile world, So their is no reason to use that as an excuse to big the Vodafone smart phones up, They are cheap but for a few quid more you could buy the Samsung S4 mini from Vodafone which is currently £125 

drey_p
And people say the same about Huawei handsets and their products but anyway.

I am merely stating my opinion of the handset having actually used it. Have you actually used it ?

PWIAC

Yes I have I test many handsets due to the job I do, The great thing with Mobiles and you can include the networks is we have a choice, We also have opinions be it postive or negative about a handset or network, I conclude that this handset and others in its range are of a very low quality and although you may have found this device good quality I do not agree and in future would hope Vodafone choose a better manufacturer to produce a better range of handsets that suits the needs of todays user.

drey_p
You say you've tested many handsets but have you used the Smart?

PWIAC

I have had hands on with the Smart Turbo yes 

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I used a Smart 4 Power for a while and it was excellent.   My main concern was the limited amount of memory and I wonder whether the original problem was down to this?   I put an sd card in it and it adopted it as extended main memory rather than external storage.  I then threw as many apps at it as I could and didn't have any problems at all - I also kept photos and other content on the card, rather than internal memory.  The only downsides I could find were that it was quite heavy and had a pretty low-resolution camera.

I agree, it's not perfect but it does what it needs to and at a fraction of the cost of many other handsets.