You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

WP7 NoDo update

Just wandered if you have any information about how it is coming along.

How's the testing going and do you have any estimates for when it will start reaching our handsets?

I understand you can't give dates but just any information on how it's going would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S

Message 1 of 26 (5,037 Views)

Re: WP7 NoDo update

According to various sites including:

http://www.winrumors.com/carriers-weve-approved-nodo-microsoft-is-delaying-its-windows-phone-update/

and

http://www.wpcentral.com/some-carriers-blame-ms-nodo-bottleneck

...Vodafone UK have already approved the update and are actually waiting for Microsoft to push it out.

Who knows what the truth is? :-/

Message 2 of 26 (4,999 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there icollectbadgers,

Thanks for your post.

I'm happy to confirm that we released these updates for both the Optimus 7 and the Trophy 7 on Wednesday. To update your device, please follow the below instructions:

Manually

One will need to connect the handset to their computer via USB and open the Zune application. They will be prompted that an update is available and should follow the onscreen instructions.

It's exactly the same process for both devices and both software versions, post update, should read 7.0.7390.0. To find this information:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select About
  3. Select More information
  4. OS Version
Cheers,
Lee
eForum Team
Message 3 of 26 (4,959 Views)

I've been trying the manual update since Wednesday for my HTC Trophy but still nothing. !!

Message 4 of 26 (4,953 Views)

I too am finding Zune doesn't yet know about the update:

"your phone is up to date

Current phone software version: 7.0 (7008)

Message 5 of 26 (4,945 Views)

Im also trying to update and Zune tell me my phone is up to date!

Message 6 of 26 (4,841 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster

Microsoft also say it takes up to 10 days following operator approval for the rollout to actually start. once it's approved it goes into a queue, and then the update is pushed out. Note that it doesn't go to everyone immediately, it may take some time for your download to be released. this is normal, otherwise you would have every single handset in the world trying to access the dame download server at the same time. the same is true for any update service.

there is no real point in continuously hitting the 'update now' button in the hope that you will get it early - you will be told when the update is available to you, you can't get it any quicker. the update now button is there for people who elect not to use automatic updates, or have an internet connection which isn't 'always on'.

@vodafone, Many thanks for actually getting up-to-date, accurate information about this update. much better than the previous 'maybe in march' rumour we'd all been given before.

Message 7 of 26 (4,827 Views)

[ Edited ]

The instructions vodafone have given are to open zune and click update. If you need to wait until your phone tells you there is a pending update, then they should have said this in the first place.

If they hadn't given information about updating it manually, then I don't think there woudl be a problem. It does suggets that you can update your handset before any notification is received.

Message 8 of 26 (4,769 Views)

Ah Martin, I give you the utmost credit for the informative and balenced nature of the first 2 paragraphs of your post.

However, before you let that go to your head it does appear that you were overcome with a sudden burst of obsequiousness/drunkeness/sarcasm when you typed the following words:

@vodafone, Many thanks for actually getting up-to-date, accurate information about this update. 

Up-to-date and accurate you say? Yes you did.

Let's cast out minds back to Lee's post shall we? Yes.

Hey there icollectbadgers - Hey yourself

Thanks for your post. - You're welcome

I'm happy to confirm that we released these updates for both the Optimus 7 and the Trophy 7 on Wednesday. - released to microsoft so not entirely accurate information

To update your device, please follow the below instructions: [snip] - again not accurate and ahead-of-date

Cheers - This is not a public house

Lee - I suppose this bit is probably accurate and up-to-date
eForum Team - responsible for writing a single response to a thread and when several people point out that what you've said isn't true instead of following it up you just ignore it and hopes it goes away - fine work indeed team
Message 9 of 26 (4,727 Views)

No update here either, what's going on VF?
Message 10 of 26 (4,663 Views)

i've got the update....

Just conect ur mobile to pc and click on update. 

thanks.

Message 11 of 26 (4,617 Views)

Nope, still says that I'm up to date with version 07.00.07008.03

Message 12 of 26 (4,607 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster

Sorry, should have clarified the word 'accurate'. I meant that they pinned it down to a day, instead of their usual 'soon', 'maybe next month' or 'summer' timelines that they usually suggest when talking about release dates and the like. :-) although misleading, it was at least better than the expected 'soon' and to be fair, most of the 3 month delay in this update has been Microsofts fault, not voda for a change - they did their part of the approval relatively quick (compared to other operators). I'm happier to hear them say ' it was done yesterday, than the more likely "we're testing it and it'll be released soon", when infact they have all but flipped the switch, and scheduled it for a specifc time on a specific day, but don't want to commit.

To also clarify the 'update now' point also - I was wrong to say you can't get it early, more accurately, there will be a window of opportunity where the user is eligible to download, but the notification hasn't quite filtered though. Think of it like payments clearing your bank account - the money has gone in, and you can withdraw it, but it's not showing up on your statement yet.... in most cases I doubt this is more than a day.

I'm just saying be patient - it's comming. you'll get it when you get it. to my knowledge there are no desperate bug fixes, no serious issues in this patch that we need to get it absolutely as-soon-as-possible. let nature take it's course. the same server distributing updates is the one that has to stop distributing them and say 'not yet' to 100,000 people clicking 'check now' every day. it's probably slowing the process down by a fair margin.

Message 13 of 26 (4,591 Views)

Ive read that the NoDo update will most probably be available for Vodafone on 5th April. "Wave 1" of the rollout for Orange handsets began 29th March and "Wave 2" which also includes O2 begins 5th April.

So hopefully not too much longer...

Message 14 of 26 (4,575 Views)

[ Edited ]

Where did you read that? and how did srikanthstares get the update? It is an annoying wait and it would be better if more accurate information was given out by MS or Vodafone.

Message 15 of 26 (4,503 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

[ Edited ]

Chaps, give Vodafone a break. Everyone's been having problems with their updates, regardless of network. Microsoft put this page up, but it doesn't have any dates on it: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-world.aspx

Lee told us Vodafone has okayed the update, so at this point we are waiting for Microsoft to finish scheduling the update and start delivering it. Once they've start delivering it it can be a few weeks before you get the update on your phone because they are staggering the rollouts.

I don't understand the whole 'staggered rollout' idea though. WP7 updates are delivered from the Windows Update servers, which are perfectly capable of supporting millions of PCs downloading updates simultaneously every Tuesday!

Message 16 of 26 (4,480 Views)

Message 17 of 26 (4,386 Views)

I concur with icollectbagers, the guide in the link works a treat!!!

Message 18 of 26 (4,382 Views)

Having to use a workaround is not really the point here is it. You have no idea if that download is safe, I'm sure it is as many have used it now but someone had to be the guinea pig.

VF (or any network provider) should not have been given the option to delay or not send out any phone updates.

VF, just send out the update already.

Message 19 of 26 (4,376 Views)

I've now updated mine by following one of the guides. Only took about 10 minutes to do it.

Performance now is much improved.

Message 20 of 26 (4,367 Views)
iPhone 6

iPhone 6

Bigger than bigger