Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Water damage - not covered by warranty

harg7769
2: Seeker
I got caught in a bit of a down pour yesterday and ended up soaked, as did my phone unfortunately. When I tried to switch it on this morning, there was nothing. I phoned customer services who told me that I should take it into a Vodafone shop for return to be repaired as it was still under warranty.

When I took it into the shop, the sales assistant took one look at it and said as it was water damage, it wouldn't be repaired as this isn't included. The best thing to do is leave it in an airing cupboard for a few days and "hope it dries out". If it doesn't, I am basically stuck with 15 months left on a contract and no phone. That can't be right, can it?

I would understand if I had dropped the phone but it was in my pocket. Do I have any chance of getting this repaired under warranty? If not, is there a copy of the warranty that I can read through to see what the exclusions are?

Thanks for any help.

harg7769
20 REPLIES 20

In regards to being able to send a complaint, it is far from easy as I searched the whole website as well as google I was looking for over and hour and I quite frankly disagree that it is not obvious or easy.  I know my way round a computer I used to be a Senior Administrator and I am far from thick and do know fully how to use a computer in all capacities.  I have Advanced City and Guilds in Information Technology, so I do not appreciate the manner of the reply in regards to apparently how easy it is to complain and everyone must be thick

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Thanks for a recitation of your qualifications. If you type Vodafone UK Complaints into Google UK do you not get this as your first link?

http://campaigns.vodafone.co.uk/complaints/

This as the second link

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/about-us/code-of-practice/

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Ah, yes, as Vodafone is the effectively manufacturer, you're caught in a double-bind.  Going to an independent repairer is your best option.  If they can show that the damage isn't water-related, you may be able to get Vodafone to have a rethink, but I suspect that it is.

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
Speak to alcatel, the manufacturer. But i warn you the smart mini is one of the most awfully botched devices i've ever seen internally,

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

steflongstaff
Thank you for extra information, the handset still works it is the power button that no longer functions at all. I have collected the unrepaired handset today and I am taking it to an independent mobile repairers tomorrow for a second opinion

steflongstaff
I do apologise I should have said in earlier message I had thought it had broken altogether as it initially appeared as it had gone dead completely as I was unable to switch it on, but later on that day I actually found it was not completely dead it was the power button that no longer worked, which is why I obviously still decided to take the handset to the store to be sent off for repair.

My partner took the Vodafone Smart Mini 875 handset, which had the not working power button to our local repair store today, Hybrid in Spennymoor.  The man thoroughly checked the handset and my partner was lucky if he is was in there 10 minutes, there was no water damage, it just needed a quick clean, no parts not even the power button needed replacing at all.  We were charged £10 as all needed was the quick clean and please NOTE NO WATER DAMAGE was found.  I will be sending a letter to Vodafone head office as soon as possible to complain, as I as well as many others who have gone in and used our local repairers have had the same problem.  The man who runs the shop has been inundated with handsets that have been refused repair by the manufacturers because of water damage and yet that is not always the case.  I am absolutely disgusted that I was accused of damaging my own handset with water and to pay the repair of £55 or get lost sort of attitude from the Vodafone repairs service, as well as all the busfares, telephone calls and running around.  To find out from our local repairer that it was NOT water damaged and all it needed was a quick clean for £10 and this seems to be a common problem for a minority.  I am quite happy now that I will be able to continue my case with the Ombudsman also, as even though my handset is in full working order now, it is absolutely wrong feeling like you have been scammed by what is supposed to be a reputeable company. 

jeffkinn
Did your local repairer tell you if the moisture strips had been activated or not? It isn?t really a question of whether there was water damage or not but whether the moisture indicators had been activated. If they had, that in itself is enough to stall the repair process with Vodafone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Well regardless of water damage or activation strips, I would have liked to have known just exactly what Vodafones repair which would have cost me £55 would of consisted of, seen as evidently nothing needed replacing.  Which brings me again to it appears like incident people are being scammed.  I would definately tell any other future people with these problems to always get a second opinion before going ahead and paying any apparent water damage repair charges with the Vodafone repair service.  

hrym

Vodafone will offer you an "official" repair that won't invalidate your warranty.  It's possible that the quote you were given might have been an over-estimate and you might have been charged less, of course.  I don't know whether that happens.

Clearly there was something wrong with the phone if it needed any work at all, and it's also highly likely that the moisture strips had been triggered, which is why Vodafone refused a warranty repair.