Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

moto g 4g sd card

johndoran
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

hi

i   recently   bought  a  moto g 4g   from  the  online  store,   when  i   inserted     my  nokia  sd  card  into   phone   and  powered  it  up  i  could  see  the  phone   had   recognised  the  card  with  no  problems,  i  then   went  into  the  storage  settings  and  set  it   that  the  sd  card  would  be  used  to  store  my  data,

after  taking   some  photos  i  checked  to  see   if  they  stored onto  the  sd  card  which  they  did ,

but   once  i  started  to  take  video  it  would  come  up  on  the  screen  that  the  phone  was  switching  to  internal  memory  and  after  checking  where  the  video  was  stored  it  was  in  fact  on  the  internal  memory

when   i  went  back  into  the  settings  i can  see   the  settings  have  reverted   back  to  internal   memory  settings  so  i  would  change  them  back  to  sd  card  memory  settings,

so  again   i  took  photos  and  they   would   store  on  the  sd  card  as  i  wanted,  but  again  as  soon  as  i  switch  to  video  recorder    it  would  come  up  on  screen  that  it  was  switching  to  internal  memory,  and  after  checking  where   this  video  was  stored  it  was  as  suspected  on  the  internal  memory,

for  some  reason  it  appears  that  the  phone  does  not  want  to  record  video  directly  onto   the  sd  card

(  video   that  was  recorded  onto  the  internal   memory  can  be  manually transferred  onto  the  sd  card   if  i  go  into  storage  setting  and  copy  it  across  though   but  recording  directly  onto  the  sd  card  seems  to  be  a  problem )

any  suggestions    thanks   john

11 REPLIES 11

hrym
17: Community Champion

The only thing I can think of is that either the sd card isn't fast enough to record video or the phone assumes that it won't be and reverts to internal memory.  What size is the sd card?   Could it be that the phone is expecting to run out of space for videos?   You may be able to get more information from the full manual, which you can download from the Motorola website.

hi  thanks  for  the  reply

the  sd  card   is  a  nokia  120 mb  

thanks  john

hrym

Digging further into this, I've struggled a bit.  I can't find the Moto G 4G in the Vodafone shop and I also wasn't aware that this verion has an sd card slot, though it clearly does.  I was trying to find out what size is supported, but have drawn a blank so far.  If it was the size that was the issue, I'd have expected it nto to work at all, rather than selectively.

I found this on Amason:

Heard from Motorola UK by email today (7 July) - they too are aware of the problem with cards of "classes 8 or 10, or UHC SD cards" and say "At the moment we have not been able to determine if this is a software or hardware issue, but we are hoping to have an available solution soon."  ** EDIT on 8 July 2014: According to announcements on Motorola's forums, there is some good news: the SD card problem should be fixed in an imminent android update, from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4. 

What I'd suggest is that you contact Motorola and see if they can help.

hi  there

i  didnt  buy  the   phone  from    vodaphone,    i  bought  it  sim  free   and  have  put  my  vodaphone  contract  simcard  in  the  phone 

thanks  john

hrym

Ah, sorry, when you said "from the online store", I just assumed it was Vodafone.   I think you're going to have to go to Motorola on this.

ok  i  will  do 

many  thanks  john

hrym

Good luck.   If you get an answer, it would be very handy if you could post back here, just for completion.

hi   there  ,  this  is  the   reply  i  got from    motorolla

Dear john , 

Thank you for contacting Motorola. 

In theory you should be able to save videos directly on the sd card. However, this may be the result of an issue we have been having with sd cards ont MOTO G 4G. We are currently working on a fix and advise you to keep recording on the internal memory and tranfer the files on the SD card afterwards. 

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to contact us again, quoting your Customer Reference number. 

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you. 

Kind regards, 

Motorola Mobility UK Ltd. 
www.motorola.com

hrym

Thanks for posting that.  Transferring the videos to the sd card is going to be interesting if you're running KitKat and don't have a file manager as a system app, though (due to security restrictions introduced in KitKat by Google).  If you're having trouble, you could try ES File Manager, which has a workround that's effective on some (but not all) devices.