Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

subscribe to packet data first

readings
2: Seeker
I'm trying to download e-mail from a POP3 server to my Nokia 6234 mobile, but when I select "Check new e-mail" it responds "subscribe to packet data first". I can browse the web OK - is there another service that I need to subscribe to?

Richard
10 REPLIES 10

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Richard

Thanks for your post today.

Having Emails on your phone is a really useful service. I've had them set up on my phone for a while now and its amazing how reliant I have become! :)

To get emails setup you'll need to first configure your device to do this. Have you been through the setup process already? If not heres a link to the email setup guide so you can just double check you have all the correct settings in place.

Nokia 6234 Email Configuration Guide

1. From the main screen press the Menu Key.
2. Scroll to Settings and press the select key under Select.
3. Scroll to Configuration and press the select key under Select.
4. Scroll to Personal Configuration Settings and press the select key under Select.
5. If lists of personal accounts are displayed, press the left select key under Options, scroll to Add New and press the select key under Select.
6. If there are no personal accounts displayed here press Add
7. Scroll to Add New and press the select key under Select.
8. Scroll to E-Mail and press the select key under Select.
9. Account name will be displayed, press the select key under Select.
10. Enter account Name (i.e. Work email, Vodafone etc) and press the select key under OK.
11. Scroll to My Name and press the select key under Select.
12. Enter your Name (i.e. John) and press the select key under OK.
13. Scroll to E-mail Address and press the select key under Select.
14. Enter the email address (i.e. john.smith@vodafone.net) and Press the select key under Ok. Note: press the 1 key several times to insert the @ symbol
15. Scroll to SMTP Secure Login, press Select and scroll to Disabled and press Select.
16. Scroll to SMTP User Name press Select and web
17. Scroll to SMTP Password and enter web the select key under Select and enter your email account password, enter again to Verify the Email password and Press the Left select key under Ok.
18. Scroll to Outgoing SMTP Server and press the select key under Select.
19. Enter send.vodafone.net and press the select key under Ok.
20. Scroll to Outgoing SMTP Port, press Select and enter 25, and press the select key under Ok.
21. Scroll to Use Preferred access point and press the select key under Select.
22. Scroll to No and press the select key under Select.
23. Scroll to SMTP Access Point and press the select key under Select
24. Proxy will be displayed, press the select key under Select
25. Scroll to Disable and press the select key under Select
26. Scroll to Data Bearer and press the select key under Select
27. Scroll to GPRS or Packet Data whichever of the two is listed here and press the select key under Select
28. Scroll to Bearer Settings and press the select key under Select
29. Packet Data Access point or GPRS access Point will be displayed, press the select key under Select and enter for Contract: Internet for PayT: pp.vodafone.co.uk and press the select key under Ok
30. Scroll to Authentication Type and press the select key under Select
31. Scroll to Normal and press the select key under Select
32. Scroll to Username and press the select key under Select
33. Enter web and press the select key under OK
34. Scroll to Password and press the select key under Select
35. Enter web and press the select key under OK, Re-Enter web and press the select key under OK
36. Press the right select key under Back twice.
37. Scroll to Incoming Server Type and press the select key under Select
38. Scroll to POP3 or IMAP4 and press the select key under OK
39. If your email provider requires secure login Scroll to Incoming Mail Settings and press the select key under Select
40. If your email provider requires secure login, scroll to POP3 secure Login/IMAP4 secure Login and press the select key under Select and scroll to APOP and press Select
41. If your email provider requires secure login, scroll to POP3 User name/IMAP4 User name and press the select key under Select and enter the login as given by your email provider, press the Left select key under Ok
42. If your email provider requires secure login, scroll to POP3 Password/IMAP4 password and press the select key under Select
43. Enter the Email password set by the user and press the Left select key under Ok. Then Verify the Email password and Press the select key under Ok
44. Scroll to Incoming POP3 Server/Incoming IMAP4 Server and press the select key under Select and enter the incoming mail server provided by your email provider pop.vodafone.net, press the select key under Ok
45. Scroll to Incoming POP3 port/Incoming IMAP4 Port and enter: for Pop3 - 110 for IMAP4 - 143
46. Scroll to POP3 secure Login/IMAP secure Login and set to enabled/disabled as required by you ISP. If required by your ISP you will now need to enter your Username again at POP3 user name/IMAP user name SMTP and Password again at POP3 password/IMAP password
47. Scroll to Use Preferred access point and press the select key under Select.
48. Scroll to No and press the select key under Select.
49. Scroll to POP3 Access Point and press the select key under Select.
50. Proxy will be displayed, press the select key under Select.
51. Scroll to Disable and press the select key under Select.
52. Scroll to Data Bearer and press the select key under Select.
53. Scroll to Packet Data and press the select key under Select.
54. Scroll to Bearer Settings and press the select key under Select.
55. GPRS Access Point or Packet Data Access point will be displayed, press the select key under Select and enter: for Contract: Internet for PayT: pp.vodafone.co.uk and press the select key under Ok.
56. Scroll to Authentication Type and press the select key under Select.
57. Scroll to Normal and press the select key under Select.
58. Scroll to Username and press the select key under Select.
59. Enter web and press the select key under OK.
60. Scroll to Password and press the select key under Select.
61. Enter web and press the select key under OK, Re-Enter web and press the select key under OK.
62. Press the Right select key under Back three times.
63. Scroll to the new email settings and press the left select key under Options.
64. Scroll to Activate and Press the select key under Select.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions just give us a shout

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

readings
To get emails setup you'll need to first configure your device to do this. Have you been through the setup process already? If not heres a link to the email setup guide so you can just double check you have all the correct settings in place.

Thx for the 6234 configuration guide, which I've worked through several times, but always results in the "subscribe to packet data first" message :angry:

Is it possible to explain what exactly leads to that message?

Richard

DPH
14: Advanced member
Are you on contract or pre pay? If you are on contract it's possible that you don't have the Internet APN on your account. What options have you got at step 29?

readings
Are you on contract or pre pay? If you are on contract it's possible that you don't have the Internet APN on your account. What options have you got at step 29?

I am on contract. At step 29 "Packet data access point" is displayed, and I entered "Internet".

Thx!

Richard

DPH
Did you manually enter Internet or select it from the list? It may be worth the administrators checking that the Internet APN is on your account.

readings
Did you manually enter Internet or select it from the list? It may be worth the administrators checking that the Internet APN is on your account.

I entered "Internet" manually - no list!

Sounds like I need to have my account updated.

Thx

Richard

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Richard,

To be honest it looks like you and DPH are spot on here, i will drop you a quick Email so we can check you account and make sure you have the APN on the network. Please reply with your details and one of the team will look into this for you.

James
eForum Team

readings
To be honest it looks like you and DPH are spot on here

Confirmed, my number was not configured for access to the internet APN. Resolved now.

Many thx for excellent support from the eForum team!

Richard

hi, i have a nokia 6303 .i dont know what i have done but internets always worked fine , today its saying subscribe to packet data first . ive tried to manually do this but it is not working please help me! :Smiling: