Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

this is a thread to show vodafone that users appreciate unbranded phones

buxz777
4: Newbie
we allways see posts here criticising vodafone and nokia handsets due to branding etc

after over a week with the n900 and being able to get the updates on time etc due to it being an unbranded handset iam an extremley happy customer

i thought it would be a good idear to have a thread where users can let vodafone know how happy they are to get their updates along with other users and not have to wait for months and months for vodafone to custimise nokias generic firmware

updates are an important part of a smartphone , new features , bug fixes , having the n900 unbranded like this was a wise desicion by nokia/maemo and was wise for vodafone to take it on even though they wernt to brand it

the hardware of the phone seems pretty solid and after my n97 fiasco , 4 handsets all faulty , it is a joy to use

iam hoping that this thread can build over time and that vodafone will notice that customers prefer having the unbranded device and updates on time or if they are tobrand handsets that getting updates out asap is a requirement and not a favour to the customers

not being able to update your phone due to branding is so annoying that people often risk their warranty just to get the updates which isnt good for anyone

can all other users who have had a good experience of the n900 wether it be updates , apps , stabillity , useabillity , ui whatever has made you smile themn please write about it here so vodafone can see that the n900 was worth taking one even though it was unbranded etc

thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Johnmcl7
9: Established
Given N900 owners are the only ones with Vodafone supplied devices aren't branded, it would be far better to have this topic in the general Nokia forum or somewhere else.  People have been complaining about the Vodafone branding policies for well over a year on this forum, there have been extensive threads on the subject continuously yet Vodafone take little notice of them so I don't really see the point in another separate topic on the issue.  I think the only reason the N900 isn't branded is because Nokia wouldn't let Vodafone do so, not because Vodafone have changed their firmware policy.

John
Knowledge is power, guard it well

buxz777
Given N900 owners are the only ones with Vodafone supplied devices aren't branded, it would be far better to have this topic in the general Nokia forum or somewhere else. People have been complaining about the Vodafone branding policies for well over a year on this forum, there have been extensive threads on the subject continuously yet Vodafone take little notice of them so I don't really see the point in another separate topic on the issue. I think the only reason the N900 isn't branded is because Nokia wouldn't let Vodafone do so, not because Vodafone have changed their firmware policy.

John

why has a mod changed my title of this thread!!

this is a bit out of order lol

the title was

''this is a thread to show vodafone that users appreciate unbranded phones''

it has now been changed to

''vodafone release software updates for the nokia n97''

that is rather silly mods , i was making a thread to basically praise vodafone and nokia/maemo and you cahnge the title

cmon any reason for this??

buxz777
I think the only reason the N900 isn't branded is because Nokia wouldn't let Vodafone do so, not because Vodafone have changed their firmware policy.

John

fair point but voda didnt have to take it on 🙂

nor did they have to change the thread title lol

buxz777
fair point but voda didnt have to take it on 🙂

nor did they have to change the thread title lol

like magic a mod turns the thread title back lol 🙂

thankyou to whoever done that for me

SoundWave
I have to agree. Crippled operator firmware that is not updated as often as the unbranded version is an extreme annoyance! It is why I would normally prefer to buy sim-free and get a sim-only plan.

The N900 has changed this to an extent and it is a giant step in the right direction but apparently (according to the bug report on this issue), Vodafone still have some say in the release of the firmware for their product coded N900s. So we shall have to wait, see and hope that the quick updates continue.

Overall though, great work Vodafone, it is an excellent little device!

dcarmi
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
To be fair there are other devices that Vodafone have little control over firmware. Namely the iPhone and Android. Nokia knows it has a problem in this area and Maemo offers them a chance to break the enforced mould. The next chance will be with the updated S60 due this year.

richardski
I have to agree. Crippled operator firmware that is not updated as often as the unbranded version is an extreme annoyance! It is why I would normally prefer to buy sim-free and get a sim-only plan.

The N900 has changed this to an extent and it is a giant step in the right direction but apparently (according to the bug report on this issue), Vodafone still have some say in the release of the firmware for their product coded N900s. So we shall have to wait, see and hope that the quick updates continue.

Overall though, great work Vodafone, it is an excellent little device!

Hi,

Fully agree with the above.

As a matter of policy we only ever buy direct from the manufacturers - SIM free. That way if it goes wrong you deal direct with the manufacturer and do not have an aditional link in the chain or suffer buck passing between manufacturer and supplier of phones with limited software feature set e.g. like some providers disable VoIP or Skype on their badged handsets. Also you do not have to wait on 3rd parties to release their own versions of updates.

In our experience Vodafone provides the best network in the UK and we use everything from their pager services, mobile network services and even have our own APN gateway into the GSM network giving us an aditional level of control. However anything other than simplest cheapest throway handset is, in our opinion, best sourced direct from the manufacturer.

Regards

Richard

Retired-David_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback, we do take all your comments and feed them through the correct channels.

Keep up the good work guys and I am glad you are all enjoying the N900. :)

Thanks B-)

David
eForum Team

pastyman
I think you may find that the VF supplied devices might be branded to an extent, they carry a different device code to those bought from a retail outlet.
The positive is that the updates seem to be flowing a lot faster than the HTC ones!