cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

* Unable to get Vodafone unlock code to work . . . or to know how to actually use it *

Boggled57
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Kudos to Vodafone for being kind enough not to gouge customers with charges for unlocking, and kudos, too, for prompt service: I filled in the NUC application form, was told it was being processed and then advised that Vodafone would have to contact the manufacturer and get back to me with the code -- which it did, all within 3 days.

Unfortunately though, things haven't gone smoothly since.

I'm a PAYG customer with a Nokia 6310i dating back more than 10 years (hence, presumably, the need to check the IMEI with the manufacturer.) The phone is in perfect working order, having been little used. Vodafone support's email to me said:

"Thanks for getting in touch about unlocking your phone so you can use it on a different network. Your code is 4235XXXXXXXXXXX (I've deleted the rest of the code for the purposes of this public email.)

Using your code

1. With the Vodafone SIM card inside the handset2.

No joy?

If your code does not work, please do not try the code over and over as you may lock it permanently, Instead go to (a link is given to Vodafone's support webpage.)"

No other advice was provided. That being the case, I input the code and, perhaps not surprisingly, the Nokia reported 'number not recognised'.

I found elsewhere on the 'Net -- before discovering this helpful user forum -- that you can't actually use the code in the way that the support email implied. Instead, it's necessary to invoke a password unlock procedure involving special characters and numbers, and without the Vodafone sim in the phone.

I followed that route -- without the simcard installed -- and meticulously entered the code and recommended password format. Result: CODE ERROR. I tried again, and as before, was ultra careful in keying in the data. The result was the same: CODE ERROR.

Finally, I re-inserted the Vodafone sim card, checked to see that the phone was working OK (it was) followed the recommended password / Vodafone NUC procedure, and this time, complied with the Support email stipulation that I do this with the Vodafone sim card installed.

Result: CODE ERROR.

I have followed the link provided in the Support email but all it seems to achieve is to request that I submit another application.

Two problems are evident here: (1) that repeated NUC attempts are said by Vodafone to be highly inadvisable and (2) repeated NUC applications are said by Vodafone to be limited to three only in a year. So if I keep on trying to unlock the phone and failing, or keep on submitting an NUC application and failing, then I'm going to get nowhere.

Help would be greatly appreciated: thanks. I'd thought this network unlocking would be quite straightforward, but seems not to be???

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

Have you tired by inserting an active non Vodafone sum card to invoke the pop up box ?

It's right that with some phones if a code is entered too many times this can lock out the phone. 

If you still encounter issues then customer services on 191 or use Live Chat as they can supply the direct email.address for Vodafone nuc unlocking department. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Lee: thanks for helping a newbie -- I'm really not very familiar with cellphones. At all.

The 'pop up box' you mention is the first I've heard of it; no reference was made to it in the Support email I received which merely asked me to keep the Vodafone sim card in the device and enter the unlock code. So . . . thanks for enlighhtening me!

Re trying another sim. Unfortunately, the Nokia's design dates from the days of full-size sim cards; the retaining clip secures only those in place, not the push-out micro card. The sims in the other pair of cells my wife and I have are only micro-sized. It's impossible to put one of those into the Nokia because it's too small to lock into place.

I was wondering if I should get another sim from our local supermarket in hope this would -- perhaps? -- be a full-size card, i.e., one with the cardboard fully intact, rather than just the pushed-out micro section alone, but a friend who seems to know more about this kind of thing than I ever will says I'd need to register the sim with its network provider and then load it with at least £10 just to get started.

I've no idea if that advice is correct.

PS: thank you, also, for including the Live Chat link in your post; although there's an invitation to do just that on Vodafone's unlocking Support page, there's no link there and so no way of doing that.

PPS: by a complete coincidence, I've just finished reading Stephen Ambrose's superb 'Band of Brothers' on which the equally superb TV series was based. Small world.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Boggled57,

Please let us know if you require any further assistance after speaking with the Live Chat team and we'll be happy to help you further.

Thanks Natasha: I'm intending to go on Live Chat now. Fingers crossed.

Update: unfortunately, "Live Chat" is yet again unavailable on the Vodafone help page.

That page actually gives every impression that Vodafone has now ceased to offer a Live Chat service.

There are four options, three of which have a live link box: Give us a call, Find a store, and Community. By comparison, Chat to us online and its explanatory text "Chat to one of our advisers online now" has no link box nor any hypertext.

This has been my experience of a non-existent 'Live Chat' for more than a week now. I'm wondering if there's a browser problem (Firefox) at my end though fail to see why three options have live links displayed but one doesn't. 

The frustration continues on. And on. :smileysad:

FINAL UPDATE  I've since located Live Chat on a different page, one which relates to 'My Vodafone app'. Tech adviser Rachel has been extremely helpful, pointing out that actually, the new Vodafone SIM which I installed in my phone must be in place for a full 30 days before it will recognise any unlock code. I hadn't appreciated that before. As to code entry, Rachel tells me that the procedure is as described in the Support email: simply enter the code and the SIM will recognise it. So . . . I'll leave it a week or so (can't remember when I actually installed the new SIM) and try again.

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Boggled57

Thanks for letting us know that you've now managed to contact Live Chat.

If you need any help in the future, please pop us a message.