Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Activating SIM in USA

rbenn674
1: Seeker

Hello, I purchased a Pay as you go microSIM for Ipad / tablets with 1GB from Amazon as I am coming to the UK in a week. However the sticker on the box says to activate by Feb 17, 2016. This is two days before I arrive. I tried to use it here and it works roaming on AT&T towers including the my vodafone app which allows me to look at account balance ( $0) and even use the internet. However, I cannot activate it (per the manual) as no flash page appears when I start my browser. Looking for an alternate way to activate my SIM so I don't run into any issues when I arrive in a week. 

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi.

Being PAYG, the SIM has to connect to the local UK network to activate. You would also need a UK registered card to add the necessary credit.

You would have no problem getting a replacement SIM when you arrive in the UK from a Vodafone store.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS

Hi.

Being PAYG, the SIM has to connect to the local UK network to activate. You would also need a UK registered card to add the necessary credit.

You would have no problem getting a replacement SIM when you arrive in the UK from a Vodafone store.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Amazon shouldn't be selling cards that close to their expiry date; they usually have about a year in which to register them, before the assignment of the number lapses. Amazon must have some fairly old stock, so you may want to take that up with them if you have problems, although it does sound as though you have managed to get it partially activated from the US, so it should sort itself out OK once you arrive in the UK and make a full connection to the network.