Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blank Sim Card

willie5094
4: Newbie

Trying to do a sim swap from standard size sim on old Nokia phone to Nano sim on iphone 5s, I ordered a sim card from Vodafone and done the swap online yesterday and it hasn't worked. Done an onloine chat to be told that I need a blank sim card which I could get from a Vodafone shop and not online, unfortunately I am 100 miles from nearest store. I contacted a friend who went into a Vodafone shop for me to get a blank sim card to be told Vodafone don't do blank sim cards anymore and you need to physically take the phone into a Vodafone shop to get it done.

Who  is right and who is wrong, please help.

24 REPLIES 24

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

You do indeed need a blank SIM card to sim swap. 

The one sent will already have a number attached to it. 

Customer services can send blank SIM cards to people. Try customer service on 191. 

Vodafone Stores can give blank SIM cards too. 

I've heard they are reluctant to give out these to stop any fraudulent use of blank SIM cards. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply, my brother in law tried a Vodafone shop in Glasgow and they refused to give him one saying we need to to go into shop. I will try phoning 191 and ask for one, thanks for your help.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

The best place to sim swap is in a store but as you've highlighted that's not always convenient or possible. 

There is no reason why customer service cannot send you one. Tell them specifically your on Payg and need a Blank Sim Card due to handset change. 

It can i assume depend on the product knowledge of the agent your speaking to. 

Current Phone  >

willie5094
4: Newbie
Tried 191 and there is no way they are going to send out a sim card, due to recent fraudulently activity, spent 4 hours today trying to get this sorted, absolutely fuming. Hope Santa claus calms me down later, cheers.

BandOfBrothers

Are they stating "recent fraudulent activity" in general or specifically with your Account  ?

All posts left on the forum are read by Vodafone Tech Staff so all this can be fed back. 

Current Phone  >

Should have said "recent fraudulant activity" in general.

BandOfBrothers

I appreciate Vodafone wanting to secure systems etc but if a person cannot get to a Vodafone Highstreet Store to sim swap then it's a reasonable request to ask for a Blank to be posted out.

After all one has to go through Security Protocols to confirm Account Holder Status !

I've recently visited Network Stores in my City Centre to ask for a Blank Sim Card, and was initially offered the sim swap to happen in the store, and On replying "I'd rather do it at home",  I was given the blank without issue.

I'm thinking it can sometimes depend on who you speak to. 

i.e if the employee declines the request then ask politely to speak with the supervisor / manager. Even the Area Managef if relevant. 

If this continues I can invisage people reverting to trying to have the Sim cut down etc. The ramifications being if it's cut wrong the SIM card can be rendered unusable.

Thankfully most networks now send out Multi-Sim Cards so one can adjust the size of the SIM card (if it hasn't gone faulty that is)

Current Phone  >

Really fed up with the whole situation today as been on phone and live chat most of day trying to sort it out not good on Christmas eve. Will need to wait till well into next month to travel to Glasgow to get phone sorted as no one in CS will listen to my case about being so far away from a Vodafone store. My wife will need to wait till then to use her new iphone, thanks for your help and listening to me. The card they sent me out with the number assigned is a multi sim. By the way CS are a nightmare to get through to.

BandOfBrothers

I'm not surprised your unimpressed with this. :Sad_face:

Just to double check you haven't got a multi sim have you looked at your current SIM card and lightly press where the size of a nano sim would be. 

I hope you get this sorted one way or another asap. 

Merry Christmas.  🎅🏻☃️

Current Phone  >