Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Credit Confusion

AverageUsername
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I recently purchased a vodaphone payg for a relative who only wanted it for occassional use/as a back up. I assumed the credit would be standard and last for 180 days which is what you find if you search for 'Vodaphone credit length'.

But apparently it's automatically turned into a 'Big Value Bundle'. Does that mean it only lasts 30 days before it's gone or is it just the bonuses that expire? Is there any way to recover some of the credit before the 30 days is up or is that it? (It's £20 that's just gone because it won't be more than £1's worth that gets used before it expires).

If not, how do I make the next credit the one I'd actually want? (standard phone credit which will last 180 days).

The process of knowing which credit you're getting seems deliberately obtuse to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@AverageUsername

I feel that Vodafone's lack of clarity on this issue is frankly disgusting - and totally unnecessary, as all the networks have a minimum initial charge if you buy a phone, but Vodafone tries to conceal its with smoke and mirrors.

There is an initial Big Value Bundle, which is unavoidable if you buy a PAYG phone through Vodafone, and the best way to minimise the cost is just to buy the £10 Big Value Bundle.

As far as future top-ups are concerned, the important thing is to opt out of the Big Value Bundle, either using your online account if you have set one up, or via the credit line on 2345. The BVB will lapse after 30 days, and if you have opted out, it shouldn't attempt to renew itself. However, I'd recommend playing safe, and only topping up by £5, as that is below the cost of any BVB. After a further 7 days there really shouldn't be much danger of the BVB renewing, and you can top up the phone further.

An alternative to running in plain PAYG mode would be to opt in to Freebie Minutes once the initial BVB has expired. Then allow a few hours for the opt-in to take effect, and top up by £10. The £10 will be applied to your credit, and will last for 180 days if not used in the meantime, but the benefit is that you get a "bonus" of 150 UK minutes to use during the first 30 days. See http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/pay-as-you-go-plans/index.htm and choose the Freebies tab for the details.

Even if your relative is a very light user, they should at least get a few calls "for free" during the first 30 days, before standard call charges kick in.

The other thing to be aware of is that 180 days can slip by all too easily, so it's important to make a diary note to make the occasional call or send a text - and act on it when the reminder pops up!

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

63johnw
17: Community Champion

That is indeed the terms and conditions. So I won't be getting the money back despite asking for phone credit and instead getting a 30 day 'special' nonsense.

So If I cancel the 'Big Value' bundle will the next amount of money I put into the phone be normal phone credit not a 30 day money sink?

63johnw
Hi. If you cancel you should be left with the normal call and text charges.

More information on those costs can be found here

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/call-charges/

Annie_N

@AverageUsername

I feel that Vodafone's lack of clarity on this issue is frankly disgusting - and totally unnecessary, as all the networks have a minimum initial charge if you buy a phone, but Vodafone tries to conceal its with smoke and mirrors.

There is an initial Big Value Bundle, which is unavoidable if you buy a PAYG phone through Vodafone, and the best way to minimise the cost is just to buy the £10 Big Value Bundle.

As far as future top-ups are concerned, the important thing is to opt out of the Big Value Bundle, either using your online account if you have set one up, or via the credit line on 2345. The BVB will lapse after 30 days, and if you have opted out, it shouldn't attempt to renew itself. However, I'd recommend playing safe, and only topping up by £5, as that is below the cost of any BVB. After a further 7 days there really shouldn't be much danger of the BVB renewing, and you can top up the phone further.

An alternative to running in plain PAYG mode would be to opt in to Freebie Minutes once the initial BVB has expired. Then allow a few hours for the opt-in to take effect, and top up by £10. The £10 will be applied to your credit, and will last for 180 days if not used in the meantime, but the benefit is that you get a "bonus" of 150 UK minutes to use during the first 30 days. See http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/pay-as-you-go-plans/index.htm and choose the Freebies tab for the details.

Even if your relative is a very light user, they should at least get a few calls "for free" during the first 30 days, before standard call charges kick in.

The other thing to be aware of is that 180 days can slip by all too easily, so it's important to make a diary note to make the occasional call or send a text - and act on it when the reminder pops up!