Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Emergency Calls Only

bolo
12: Established

Just bought another vf Smart Ultra 6  and have 2 questions:

1.  I got a payg sim with the phone but how do I set it up to make calls and avoid the title of this thread message, and;

2.  Where do I find the facility to alter data roaming setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @bolo

The information provided by other members of the forum is spot on. 

However, please be aware changes made to the SIM / account should be fairly instant however they can sometimes take up to 24 hours. 

Please be patient and reboot the device. 

If you are no further forward after 24 hours you can re-speak to Live Chat for an update or head into a Vodafone store.

Louise

View solution in original position

63 REPLIES 63

bolo

Can I buy a vf payg sim at Tesco and simply swap over?

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@bolo

It certainly would be an expensive option but 50 miles is a long way to visit a store.

If you want to use the same number, it has to be put onto a new blank PAYG SIM and the SIMs are generally available through stores but there shouln't be any reason for Vodafone being unable to send you a new blank SIM ready for you to contact Vodafone and ask them to do the number transfer.

Please give Live Chat a further go for the new SIM.

edit. The Tesco SIM will work but it will have a number attached.  You need a blank numberless SIM to transfer your present number.  No harm trying the SIM, if it works, it will prove its a SIM issue.

@bolo

If you are not concerned about the number, give the SIM a try.  If you have added a bundle on your present SIM, you won't be able to transfer to the new number.  

Lets hope the new SIM works.

bolo

Not bothered about the number Ann as long as it's OK to switch sims.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@bolo If the problem with internet is that the phone is set up for PayM rather than PAYG, swapping to a different SIM won't help, but changing the settings on your phone will.

The clearest instructions that I'm aware of are here and definitely correspond with how my PAYG phone is set up.

bolo

Hi Annie and thank you again for trying to help. I didn't have the confidence to carry out those instructions, but this morning my friend offered to do it for me. No luck I'm afraid. He therefore suggested that given that the phone is relatively inexpensive, he would be quite happy to make a video of me smashing it with a hammer and posting it on Twitter and Facebook together with the 8 pages of 'chat' conversations. It's not going to happen😊

Annie_N

@bolo wrote:

He therefore suggested that given that the phone is relatively inexpensive, he would be quite happy to make a video of me smashing it with a hammer and posting it on Twitter and Facebook together with the 8 pages of 'chat' conversations. It's not going to happen😊

That would be a pity! The trouble is that, from here, it's quite impossible to work out whether there is some obscure problem with your account, or with the phone, or what!

Did you buy the phone direct from Vodafone or via a third party? If from Vodafone, I presume that you would still be within their time limit for returning the phone - see http://www.vodafone.co.uk/returns/index.htm and http://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/Business/buying-with-vodafone/buying-online/returns-p... - although, if you bought from a store, returning it there doesn't sound an economic prospect. If from a third party, it would depend on their returns policy.

bolo

Hi again Annie. Bought the phone from Vodafone online on Tuasday and collected it and the sim from Vodafone store on Wednasday at 10am. Sim was inserted an hour later and the problem began then and is ongoing. The annoying thing is that I bought the same phone for my wife a few months back and that one was up and going a couple of hours later. Now by sheer luck or ill-luck, our car developed a fault yesterday and has to be taken into town tomorrow and I can visit the vf store then.

Annie_N

Oh grief! The sheer cussedness of "things"! I hope you get the car and the phone sorted out!

Something you might want to clarify while you're at the store, if you feel that you may want to return the phone, is whether you are technically an online or an in-store purchaser (see the options in my first link in post #36 above), and therefore which route for a return would apply.

My feeling is that you purchased online, but it's not something where I have direct experience, nor am I all that confident with the ins and outs of the relevant consumer protection rules. But other contributors to this thread may be able to advise?

AnnS

Hi @bolo

As @Annie_N mentions, the phone has to be returned the same way as it came.

Its been a pleasure helping where I was able to and hope you get the phone and SIM working.

bolo

Hi Ann. One of the reasons I didn't take my friends advice not to smash up the phone is that I would probably go for another brand. And if I did that I would miss out on all the good advice I get here! 

On your other point regarding returning the phone, the packaging advice would only apply if I decided against the phone just because I didn't like it after buying online (distant selling). However, if the phone is unfit for purpose, and mine clearly is, I believe that the buyer is entitled to a replacement or refund regardless of whether bought online or on the High street.