Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to stop spam texts from Vodafone?

markedmonds
3: Seeker

I've recently switched to Vodafone pay as you go and the signal seems good but I hate receiving all the spam texts from Vodafone about Rewards and Big Bundles.

I've tried sending STOP to the number they specify (9774). I've tried sending STOP ALL. No confirmation reply and nothing changes.

I've even tried forwarding the texts to the number Vodafone has (7726) for tracking and helping with spam, but it wasn't able to help me either.

If anyone can help with stopping these texts then I would be grateful :Smiling: Then I can go back to just receiving texts about things I care about.

41 REPLIES 41

TheLeeds

I've been having a very similar problem with Orange / EE for over a year. Despite my numerous letters instructing them to stop spamming me, they continue to do so. I've been sending them an invoice for every text they send me, but I've just had a letter saying they refuse to pay me.

I've researched the legal position and will soon be issuing proceedings against them in the county court. One thing companies do tend to understand is a county court summmons through the letter box.

A company spamming it's customers could be guilty of an offence under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Other relevant legislation which may be useful if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem, is The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

The prohibition of unsolicited email also extends to text messages, because they fall within the definition given in the directive.

“electronic mail” means any text, voice, sound or image message sent over a public electronic communications network which can be stored in the network or in the recipient’s terminal equipment until it is collected by the recipient and includes messages sent using a short message service;

TheLeeds

I've been having a very similar problem with Orange / EE for over a year. Despite my numerous letters instructing them to stop spamming me, they continue to do so. I've been sending them an invoice for every text they send me, but I've just had a letter saying they refuse to pay me.

I've researched the legal position and will soon be issuing proceedings against them in the county court. One thing companies do tend to understand is a county court summmons through the letter box.

A company spamming it's customers could be guilty of an offence under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Other relevant legislation which may be useful if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem, is The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

The prohibition of unsolicited email also extends to text messages, because they fall within the definition given in the directive.

“electronic mail” means any text, voice, sound or image message sent over a public electronic communications network which can be stored in the network or in the recipient’s terminal equipment until it is collected by the recipient and includes messages sent using a short message service;"

Thanks for your post TheLeeds - I'd been wondering what further options were available to me, so your info is very useful.

Good luck with your own case, and I hope you get the problem sorted :Smiling:

I an having the same problem. Replying with STOP does not work. Live Chat does not work, even though each time they assure me that this time it will be fixed. All they have done so far is turn on the premium text bar,which was not the problem. The website is nasty, and there is nowhere to turn of the stupid text messages. I tried toget a PAC but this has to be done over 191 who are not open 24 hours. Tomorrow, I am off.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@sjcollins

If you are just wanting to opt out of the Rewards scheme, you can text STOP to 27822, as set out in the Rewards Ts&Cs. I have done this, and it worked, but it does opt you out of the scheme entirely, not just out of receiving messages about it. I decided in the end that giving up an effective discount of 10% didn't suit me, so I opted back in, and just ignore the messages - but obviously that's an individual choice. (Opting back in doesn't seem to come up anywhere, but I think I tried START to 27822, and it did the trick!)

All I wanted to do was stop the text messages, but the instructions in the message did not work, an hour on three live chats did not work (and no suggestions forthcoming), and half an hour spent waiting on 191 only to be told I the person could not help, and then being lost on hold did not work. 

I have been with Vodafone since my first analogue phone, and am frankly disgusted by their customer service, or lack of it. My GiffGaff SIM arrived today, and when my Vodafone credit has gone, I will be as well. I was also surprised to find out during my search for another network that GiffGaff wrere so much cheaper than Vodafone. Not the way to build customer loyalty.

Thanks for the tip, though. I have never bothered with rewards because I just use my brick to talk and text, but I will kill everything before I leave, to make sure the texts do not follow me to another network, as described earlier in the thread.

Regards,

Annie_N

Heaven knows what has gone wrong in that earlier case - I can only think that a minor part of the port failed to happen for some reason.

If you should find that it happens to you, please post again here, as such a situation is bad news for all concerned.

I sent STOP to 27822, as suggested. 

Guess what? Yes, another text message today.. some nonsense about 60 minutes of free calls. I was on the motorway at the time. and pulled into a services in case it was urgent.

When companies grow above a certain size, they see customers as an entity rather than as individuals, so the odd percent here or there of customers who leave because they are really fed up with poor customer service just doesn't show on the corporate radar to the extent whare they will invest in fixing the problem.

That is big companies for you....

Annie_N

@sjcollins

Texting STOP to 27822 will only stop stuff specifically relating to Rewards - it doesn't stop any of the more general advertising and alerts, I'm afraid.

For reasons that are completely beyond my understanding, it seems to be the case that 9774 is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, and that stopping the general stuff can only be done via 191 or Live Chat. It is a recurrent theme on the forum, so I can't believe that Vodafone doesn't understand the offence it causes, and the resultant "churn". In which case, WHY DON'T THEY FIX IT?

..and another one today, big value bundles. No mention of 9774 this time, so Vodafone have stopped pretending that they can be stopped.