Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet access charges I was not told about

jmbh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I  am an elderly user so please be patient. I bought a Smart Phone 7 recently, but no one in the shop told me that I would be charged £2.00 per day unless I switched Internet access off.  All I want is to make phone calls, and I find I have spent £40.00 for just a few phone calls. I have now been shown how to switch off the internet setting.  In fairness, I think £30.00 should be credited to my phone account.  JMB Hughes

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

As this is a public forum can you please remove your mobile number. (Flagged)

I appreciate what your point of view is on this and do sympathise. Did you ask about Data usage with you moving to a smartphone as these use data in the background. 

Unless the employee knew of your usage needs they wouldn't probably have known that you don't want to use data. 

Smartphones update in the background ie apps,location services and things like weather and Facebook etc. 

I wish you had come to the forum sooner for advice with moving to a smartphone as the advice would have been to move tariff to one with data included or indeed turn off Mobile Data in the phones settings and use WiFi. 

The thing is you've used the service and connected which warranted the charge. 

I can only but suggest to speak with customer service on 191 or Live Chat to see if they'll action any goodwill gesture. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi Dear @jmbh

You would have probably been better off with a non smart phone for making the odd call.  

Unless you had previously used a smart phone and understood the way a smart phone works, you would have had no idea that the phone was connecting to the internet on a daly basis and incurring a £2.00 daily charge.  For a pensioner on a limited income, £30.00 is a lot of money to lose over a monthly period and probably money you can ill afford to lose.

Couldn't agree more that Vodafone should help a pensioner with some goodwill phone credit.

You can give live chat a try from the link here but you would probably do better to wait for one of the Team here on the forum to get to the thread.

They will send you a message with details of how to get in touch.  You will need to follow the instructions and send the reply by secure email, you do not reply to the PM.

If you have any further problems, please come back to the forum.