Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Lumia 550 unlocking PAYG

Kienzel
4: Newbie

Hello, Vodafone say they can unlock my Lumia 550 for free, but i've got to use it with my current sim for 30 days to prevent against fraud.

What?? it's a £35 phone, i was only gonna keep it for a week, i just wanna bang my giffgaff sim in it untill i've used all the credit up, then put another voda sim in it.

My main phone is back from voda repair now, but i need to replace my business phone.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Dave.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Kienzel

It's a criteria that you cannot circumvent.

A Vodafone Payg SIM card has to be used in the phone to make calls, send texts , use data , top up for a minimum of 30 days. 

Yes the unlocking part is free of charge after the 30 day timeframe. 

Link > Vodafone and Unlocking-your-phone-NUC.

The only other way is using a high street store or flea market stall but these carry their risks of the unlock not holding or becoming non usable on the original network it was on,or signal issues and they'll charge you for unlocking.

Personally I wouldn't go down this avenue. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks Lee, i suppose it makes sense they wanna get 30 days of money out of you before you leg it, Gonna go the backstreet option anyway, as it will work out cheaper for me, after using my rewardz points and stuff the phone only cost me £10, and i'll lose that on not using my giffgaff sim plus a £10 top up on the voda sim.

Cheers.

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome.  :Smiling:

Please do take care as to where you take it. 

Now you know the possible ramifications of unlocking this way at least your making an informed decision. 

Best of luck. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks again Lee, took your advice in the end and waited what seemed the longest 30 days ever! At least it only had to show that the phone had been used over a 30 day period so i could just pop my voda sim in it once a week.

All the best.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome.

:Smiling:

Happy to help. 

Current Phone  >