cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem applying credit bought with new phone.

age123
2: Seeker

Hi there. A couple of months ago I bought a new phone from my local Vodafone store, with a voucher for £10 credit included..

I kept my old SIM, on which I'm signed up to a Freedom Freebies package, which I don't think is available to new users any more.

Yesterday I tried to top up with the voucher code received with my new phone from the store, but the top up wasn't accepted.

Might this be because the code would be for a Big Value Bundle? And if so can I get it converted or replaced so I can use it to top up my old SIM?

Thanks for any advice.

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I'm wondering if the top up has already been added to the sim card that was perhaps supplied with the phone. If so then I'm afraid Vodafone do not transfer credit from one payg account to another. 

You could insert the new sim card to check if the credit is on it or instead speak with Customer service on 191 or Live Chat who have account access. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @age123

Quite sure the credit is for the SIM supplied with the phone and will be for a Big Value Bundle.

If you still have the SIM which came with the phone, try activating the bundle.  The bundle will be active for 30 days and it won't go to waste.

If you have any problems using the voucher, live chat are there to help.

age123
Thanks for your replies.
I don't think a new sim was included with the phone, the assistant set the phone up in store using my old sim.
There is no mention of a sim in the phone box contents list.
Perhaps I'll just call into the store next time I'm passing.

age123
Actually just checked my receipt and see it does say the credit is for a BVB, so I guess that's why it doesn't work with my old sim.
Maybe I'll contact 191 or Live Chat to see if they'll swap it for a credit code I can use.

BandOfBrothers

Hope all goes ok for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

I'm a bit puzzled that you are still signed up for a "Freedom Freebee", as that product became the new Big Value Bundle. Does your product give you, say 500MB data, 150 min and perhaps 500 (or even unlimited) texts, and take £10 off your credit each month? Or do you keep your £10 top-up, but just get one element, eg data, minutes, or texts?

It sounds as though the store sensibly set up your new phone with your old SIM, but you might well need to let your existing Freebie lapse, then switch to the BVB for a month to take advantage of the voucher.

age123
Hi Annie. I've had that sim for a long time, which is why I still am on FF even though no longer available on newer sims.
When I top up I get a certain amount of mins, texts and data free for 1 month, then subsequently I am charged for all future use and so use up the credit I've paid for with that top-up.
When my credit runs out I top-up again and the same applies.
On my current package £10 usually lasts me about 2 months, so I'm reluctant to move on to a BVB which would cost me min £10 a month.
I think if I signed my sim up to BVB I wouldn't be able to get back on to FF as it's no longer offered by Vodafone.
I may just have to let the credit I bought with my new phone slide

Annie_N

@age123 Ah, right! I thought I was doing well, still having one of the old

Text & Web Freebies, but that must be an even earlier variant!

You're correct - if you opt out of it, you won't be able to opt back in. So, unless you know someone who could make use of a BVB for a month, you'll probably have to let the credit slide!