Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodaphone PAYG phone warranty issue?

RunawayMind
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi 

I recently bought a vodapone PAYG phone and wanted to find out how long is the warranty on PAYG phones bought directly from vodaphone is? The phone in questionis the Vodaphone Smart Prime 6

also if I were to unlock the phone by not using vodaphone but rather a shop or internet unlocking services, would this invalidate my warranty?

thanks for any help

7 REPLIES 7

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

All new non iPhones carry a 24 month warranty, if you have the phone unlocked without going through the official route Vodafone would be within their rights to refuse to honour the warranty.

Also many of the unofficial unlocks do more harm than good and you have very little comeback against them if things do go wrong.

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @RunawayMind

The warranty is 24 months for any manufacturing hardware or software faults.  Further info below.

Warranty Support

As far as unlocking is concerned from an online purchase, there is always some debate as to whether this will void your warranty.  The general concensus is Vodafone would be unaware the phone had been unofficially unlocked and it would not affect the warranty.  You really need to refer to your online user guide and see if there is any mention about unlocking and warranty.

Thank you both for the replies much appreciated. 

BandOfBrothers

Hi @RunawayMind

Is there a particular reason why your not wanting to go the official route ? You'd just need to use it for 30 days on the Vodafone network and then pay the £19.99. 

Info in http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-account-specific/Unlocking-your-phone-NUC/m-p/2421841#M1 

The 24 month manufacturing warranty would not cover issues caused by a drop or water damage. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@Lee

Hi 

unfortunatley vodaphone charge £19.99 when I can get it done for half for my handest and a unlock code for vodaphone smart ultra 6 is only £1.99 yet vodaphone want to charge £19.99 which is kind like profeteering. They are forcing customers to unlock with them or loose warrantly. There is nothing dagerous about typing a 5-6 digit unlock code from ebay websites. I have been using thme for many years and never had any problem so kinda puzzled when someone mentions they are dangerous. Yes dangerous if you use just a random webpage on the internet but there are some very good reputable unlock services out there. 

I understand some will say that vodaphone provides a 24 month warrantly but most manufacturers provide 24 month warranty regardless if vodaphone wishes to honor this or not. Ie want to pruchase a sony PAYG phone from vodaphone and i will most likely unlock it as soon as it arrives and loose the vodaphone warranty but will still have 24 month sony warranty. 

Its just adds a extra layer of awkwardness for the customers.

Hi @RunawayMind

I do understand what your saying. 

The "dangerous" part of unlocking via online sites are people being stung for a code that sometimes does not materialise or does not work or does not hold or the payment details are obtained for fraudulent reasons. Shops / flea markets force the unlock which can then go onto affecting the phones signal and in some cases affect it ever connecting to the original network it was on. 

Unlocking in my opinion does not affect Manufacturing Warranty. 

Rooting or JailBreaking can. 

I buy my phones sim free unlocked but when the subject of unlocking is broached I do suggest using the network as this route is official and effective and there is a comeback if something does go wrong. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

kids

@RunawayMind The whole unlocking business is a very grey area with regards to warranty, it is a matter of you pays your money you takes your choice.

It seems you are fully aware of the dangers of using unproven unlocking services and are satisfied that a service you choose would be reliable. At the end of the day if your phone did require attention under warranty you could always do a factory reset which would relock the phone to the network and remove any trace of the unlock. Providing you have a backup of all the data on the phone that may be an option to consider.