cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is getting a blank SIM so painful/impossible?

ShetlandJames
3: Seeker

I have been trying to get a Nano-SIM for use in my new phone so that I can continue to use my Vodadone PAYG number with my new phone (I have a non-multi Micro SIM and wont fit).

Speaking to 191 three times now, they tell me that they refuse to send out PAYG blank SIM cards in the post any more (wouldnt tell me why).  I've been trying for over 2 weeks now.

According to the 191 CS, the only way to resolve my issue is in store - accoriding to your store checker the nearest one to me is 222.83 miles (not counting the 1 ferry, 2 flights, and 30 mile bus journey to get there) this aint gonna happen.

The forum seems to have posts from a couple of other people with similar issues but these are all resolved 'privately' through PM's with relevant Vodafone staff.  So I thought I would give this a try!

13 REPLIES 13

ShetlandJames

-

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

There has historically been issues with getting blank PAYG SIMs issued, mainly down to the majority of PAYG numbers not being registered, and the problems that causes with systems.

However that is in the past, and it shouldn't be beyond customer support to get one issued now.

Have you tried Live Chat?

The Vodafone staff on the forums can take a day or two to get to new posts, so i'd suggest trying the chat channels while waiting :Smiling:

forumfairy
13: Advanced Member

I could be wrong but.... on the website link here:
https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/
it allows you to order a new payg sim card. On the same page (under FAQs) there is also a link to a page where it allows you to "transfer my Vodafone number to a new sim".
http://support.vodafone.co.uk/
Would this cover the process for you? It doesn't state if would allow any transfer of credit over (so I'm assuming it might not) however it does seem to indicate that you can use this process to order and move to a new sim card.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I agree that obtaining a sim card in order to sim swap can be a chore right now. 

Mainly due to Vodafones fight against fraud. 

The only time Vodafone can sim swap to a sim that already has a number attached to it is when someone has ported from another network and are bringing their own number with them. 

The ones ordered online have a number already assigned so a person cannot perform a sim swap to them via the online form etc. 

When a Vodafone High street store issues a blank sim card they register your number with it to prevent fraud. So if for any reason they can't access the relavant system they won't issue a blank sim card to the customer. 

As mentioned the customer service route via 191 and Live Chat can issue blank sim cards but we have seen instances where a person has been told they can't. This is either down to product knowledge or lack of understanding of what is being requested. Feedback on this I'm sure has been sent back up the chain to the front line agents. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Live chat would be the preferred option, but I must be being dense as when I look at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/index.htm and select PAYG, the bit where 'live chat' is just has a picture of an overly cheerful woman, and no button or option to launch a live chat session.

grolschuk

Lol - indeed, someone seems to have stolen the chat link.

Try the Pay Monthly chat and see if you can find someone on the other end who can answer PAYG

There doesnt seem to be a live chat option under any of the options, contract, payg or business!

grolschuk

I get a button (oddly named as "Free Consultation") in Contract... next to the same smiley lady, under the speach bubble.

Annie_N

@ShetlandJames

It does look as though there's an issue with Live Chat at the moment for some reason. Something you could usefully do in the meantime is to check that all the information you have provided in your online account is up-to-date, and in particular that you have provided your correct home address. Some while ago the system didn't permit PAYG customers to enter their address, but it's worth entering it if you haven't already done so - that way you can be sure that, once Live Chat is active again, they can see the correct address to which I hope they will be able to send your blank SIM card.