Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

bvb what happens if I opt out

emeraldlady49
1: Seeker

I bought a mobile from vodafone which came with a £10 bvb..when I asked what it meant the guy said I get so many calls and text .for the first month......he didn't explain very well...when I asked what happened at the end of the month when the bvb ended...he just said to top up again....But now I know that it doesn't work that way...and I'd like to opt out of the bvb....and if I do will I be able to use my mobile  like any other ....just top up as I please..when it suits me ....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@BandOfBrothers Please be aware that BVBs DO roll over automatically, provided there is sufficient balance! They also should get reactivated if the balance is topped up to an adequate amount during the next 7 days - but some accounts seem to develop glitches of some sort if that happens.

@emeraldlady49 If the BVB isn't what you want, then you do best to opt out while it's still running. You can do this via the 2345 credit line (probably option 2 followed by option 2, and listen carefully to your alternatives), or via your online account - if you go to Current Usage, you'll see a further section called Bundles and Freebies, which should show you an Opt Out button.

Once you have opted out and your existing BVB has expired, you will then be running in basic PAYG mode, with no frills at all, and you can just top up as and when. But you may want to consider one of the top-up Freebies - see the Freebies tab here - where your top-up amount is added to your credit, but you get a "bonus" in terms of minutes, texts or data, which is available for the next 30 days (the tab explains a bit more about the renewals for that). In particular, if you have a smartphone, and are likely to want to use mobile data, then simple PAYG comes pretty expensive at £2 per day that you use mobile data, so Freebie Data can be a good option. My husband has Freebie Data, and I have its predecessor, as we are both light users, and there really isn't much mobile signal (any network) in the area where we live, and it works out pretty well for us.

If you don't have a smartphone (and I note that you only mention calls and texts) then you'd need to weigh up the balance between minutes @30p per min and texts @14p each, to decide whether Freebie Minutes or Freebie Texts would work best for you. You can always switch between the Freebies later on - just opt out while one is running, wait until it has expired, then opt in to the next. But top-ups only activate a Freebie if you have already opted in to it, so you need to time your top-up carefully if you want to swap Freebies as cost effectively as possible.

It's a bit hard to explain clearly, but I've been balancing on this tightrope for years now, and only occasionally fall off!

Annie.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Big Value Bundles last 30 days and do not rollover. On yiur Refresh Date a person would put enough Credit on their Account to pay for the next round of allowances for another 30 days. 

Payg T&C http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/configfiles/documents/contentdocuments/pay-as-you-go-terms-and-c...

This threads information maybe helpful https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go-products-services/PAYG-SIM-required-that-you-dont-top-...

Credit to @Annie_N

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

@BandOfBrothers Please be aware that BVBs DO roll over automatically, provided there is sufficient balance! They also should get reactivated if the balance is topped up to an adequate amount during the next 7 days - but some accounts seem to develop glitches of some sort if that happens.

@emeraldlady49 If the BVB isn't what you want, then you do best to opt out while it's still running. You can do this via the 2345 credit line (probably option 2 followed by option 2, and listen carefully to your alternatives), or via your online account - if you go to Current Usage, you'll see a further section called Bundles and Freebies, which should show you an Opt Out button.

Once you have opted out and your existing BVB has expired, you will then be running in basic PAYG mode, with no frills at all, and you can just top up as and when. But you may want to consider one of the top-up Freebies - see the Freebies tab here - where your top-up amount is added to your credit, but you get a "bonus" in terms of minutes, texts or data, which is available for the next 30 days (the tab explains a bit more about the renewals for that). In particular, if you have a smartphone, and are likely to want to use mobile data, then simple PAYG comes pretty expensive at £2 per day that you use mobile data, so Freebie Data can be a good option. My husband has Freebie Data, and I have its predecessor, as we are both light users, and there really isn't much mobile signal (any network) in the area where we live, and it works out pretty well for us.

If you don't have a smartphone (and I note that you only mention calls and texts) then you'd need to weigh up the balance between minutes @30p per min and texts @14p each, to decide whether Freebie Minutes or Freebie Texts would work best for you. You can always switch between the Freebies later on - just opt out while one is running, wait until it has expired, then opt in to the next. But top-ups only activate a Freebie if you have already opted in to it, so you need to time your top-up carefully if you want to swap Freebies as cost effectively as possible.

It's a bit hard to explain clearly, but I've been balancing on this tightrope for years now, and only occasionally fall off!

Annie.