Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

debt letter received when on pay as you go

Tastar
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

wife just received a debt letter from Lowell financial for £58.13 saying this is from Vodafone and we have had previous correspondce( which we havent).

Don't no how she has a debt when it was a pay as you go and she has'nt used for nearly 12 months.Anyone had similar?

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I would suggest speaking with the debt collection agency to advise what you say as a Payg account by its own definition of needing top up to work cannot accrue a debt. 

I would also suggest speaking with Vodafone Customer service by phone or Live Chat. 

I would also suggest checking your credit file via Experian to see if anything has been reported on it. If it has ask customer service to refer this to the Vodafone Credit File Support Team and ask Experian to add a Notice of Correction to add your notes on your file so anyone performing a search can see why it's there. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Could your wife have been on a 30-day SIM only contract? Though, if she were, I'd expect the debt to be higher, so that doesn't make much sense either.

In theory you could accrue a small debt on PAYG, if you had IOU in place, and then used your phone abroad - you might manage a small amount of usage before your account caught up and blocked further usage, but it's hard to see that it could possibly amount to more than around £10.

So Lee's advice is spot-on!

63johnw
Hi. I would be very careful on ringing any number in the letter without checking it out online first, I have seen scams similar to this that get you to phone a premium rate number and run up a very large bill, so ensure the number is genuine before calling it.

BandOfBrothers

@63johnw wrote:
Hi. I would be very careful on ringing any number in the letter without checking it out online first, I have seen scams similar to this that get you to phone a premium rate number and run up a very large bill, so ensure the number is genuine before calling it.

Awesome advice @63johnw

Just to further clarify : The reason I mention calling the debt collection agency is that the agency can then refer it back to Vodafone as a possible error for further investigation. 

Current Phone  >

63johnw
Yes @BandOfBrothers totally understand your good advice, the letter may be totally genuine (even if wrong or sent in error).

BandOfBrothers

@63johnw wrote:
Yes @BandOfBrothers totally understand your good advice, the letter may be totally genuine (even if wrong or sent in error).

My apologies @63johnw

I worded that rather poorly.  :smileyembarrassed:

The clarity was to the Op as I didn't really say why I suggested contacting the debt collection agency. 

Current Phone  >

63johnw
No apology needed 😀 all good advice for @Tastar

Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Tastar

I am going to send you a private message with further help. 

Louise