Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

free minutes/free texts/extra mb

syzygy
4: Newbie

hi - i've just joined vodafone's online service, and this community, and i've had a very harrowing couple of days 'chatting' with several advisers on the chatline service.  one great adviser 'got my point' immediately (unlike others) and by way of an apology to me and as a goodwill gesture gave me loads of free minutes on phone, 300, or more, free texts, and an extra 500mb.  all i've got is an ancient nokia, which i use only for phone calls/texts.  one adviser swapped the mb's for free minutes on the phone.  how do i swap the other mb's for something i can use?  i'm very much in the market for a clever android phone linked to my computer so i can get up to date.  v. difficult to pick a phone.  function and economy is more important than frills and absurdities.......

by the way, i've been with vodafone for ages on this 'pay as you go', and it's only computers/smartphones/and vodafone's online services which baffle me.   are novices with old phones welcome on this forum, or should i go elsewhere?  you may have noticed that i avoid capital letters?  i just don't like them.

thank you in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Again your most welcome. 

Vodafone networks are not connected in other countries just to mention. 

I cannot see that there is looking at the subsidiaries in https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodafone

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

About three years ago China Mobile was looking to get into bed with Vodafone with a joint venture.

It doesn't look like anything came of it.

Roaming certainly works in China as my personal experience can vouch for, but not on a Vodafone network.

As has been said, each Vodafone network is wholly independent of every other network. The only thing they have in common is the brand name. A lot of overseas networks were acquired from other companies and not built by Vodafone. For instance Vodafone ES (Spain) used to be a company called Airtel.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thanks very much.  with a computer it is impossible to be bored - there's always something to look up/research.  i lived in hongkong for 4 years - but that was 1964-1968.  my brother and i talked via tin cans and string.  we have progressed in some ways....anything to do with china interests me, and i have a healthy respect for their competence/work ethic.  the sleeping giant has woken up.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@syzygy

If I've understood correctly, you are a PAYG customer. In which case you would find that your Vodafone phone would be totally inoperative in China. See here for the details:

China PAYG.JPG

I travelled in PRC in 2014, at which time the Vodafone website included detailed pricing for PAYG roaming there. Unfortunately, at no point, and despite being in various parts of the country, was I able to make a connection.

On my return, I queried the pricing information, and it was discovered that roaming services weren't available there.

of course 'billing' would be open.it's not so much the opening hours which concern me (although cutting someone off is rude and incompetent service-wise); but it's what they do or don't do when they're on duty which is key.

no wonder britain lost an empire.

we do not build ships anymore, and the concept of 'service' is difficult to grasp.

i would love it if i was proven wrong. 

jeffkinn

Britain lost it's empire half a century ago - time to let it go.

The rest of your post is ok and I'm sure we could all agree with it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

thanks. i was afraid that a day of frustration/anger/angst had totally clouded my judgement.  and i managed a full working day.

and, i've absolutely no problem with overseas venues - it's the content and quality, and caring about one's job and the level of service one provides that is important.  'the legacy of empire' is fascinating.  so many pros and cons.

battle of the somme/fall of singapore: signalled the end?  sorry, i may be confusing this forum with another, general chatter/natter one. 

BandOfBrothers

Hi @syzygy

The thread does seem to have strayed off topic somewhat. :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

thanks.  i've tried both.  when i worked in a bank in the middle east our doors shut promptly - but we served the people inside the bank for as long as it took.

my law degree was interesting, but there were a load of really thick students.  oh, for an ounce of common sense.........

my time with vodafone is drawing to an end, i fear.  one more try tomorrow.

i'm grateful for the helpful forum members' comments.