Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Wanderer66
Accepted Solution

Can I divert calls from my BT landline to my PAYG when I take the latter overseas?

I am really confused by this issue!  When I'm on hoiday in europe/middle east, I want to to be able to use my PAYG mobile (which I will be carrying with me), to pick up calls diverted to it from my BT landline in the UK. 

Now I know that I can do this when I'm using my PAYG mobile in the UK, but I have been told that my mobile won't pick up calls diverted to it from my BT landline if my mobile is overseas.   Is this really true in 2012??? It seems archaic!! Can I get round this problem??

Message 1 of 8 (3,427 Views)
Rank 35: Scholar IV
grolschuk

Re: Can I divert calls from my BT landline to my PAYG when I take the latter overseas?

How do you do the divert on the landline?

If it is a case of doing a sequence of numbers followed by your mobile number, try replacing your mobile number with 00447xxx instead of 07xxx

I'd have thought this would be better on a BT question forum as it sounds to be a limitation with their service, and not one of your vodafone payg handset, as that will work while abroad.
Message 2 of 8 (3,413 Views)
Wanderer66

Re: Can I divert calls from my BT landline to my PAYG when I take the latter overseas?

Sorry  - I didn't make myself clear in my original post.

The idea is to divert calls from my BT landliine to my PAYG Vodofone mobile before I leave the UK for overseas. 

I have an arrangement with BT for a call divert service, and I operate it by entering a code on my BT landline so that all calls to that number are then diverted to my mobile number if I am away from home.  I can only divert calls over to my mobile, and then turn the divert off again from my landline, not from my mobile.  This is becasue the facility is a service offered by BT, not Vodofone.

In the UK this system works fine.  However Vodofone call centre staff tell me that calls redirected from my BT landline number to my mobile cannot be picked up by my mobile if I have it with me overseas.  Can this really be true????

Message 3 of 8 (3,381 Views)
Rank 35: Scholar IV
grolschuk

The original post made sense, maybe my reply didn't :smileyhappy:

As long as the BT divert service is dialling your mobile phone directly, I can't see how it would not work as it does not know where your mobile is at the time... It calls a number, the network routes it to the handset, you answer.

If the divert is on in the UK, on your handset, does it show the original caller ID, or your home number, or something else?
Message 4 of 8 (3,379 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi Wanderer66

Thanks for your post. In all honesty I'm not 100% sure on this so I've contacted our billing team for a concrete answer.

As soon as I receive the correct information I'll be back to update the thread.

Thanks

Simon

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 5 of 8 (3,370 Views)
Wanderer66

Hi again,

If the divert is on in the UK, on my landline handset,  any call I receive on my mobile (correctly) shows my home number, whatever the source of the original call.

I agree with you, I can't see why it should work.  But the Vodafone call centre staff insisted that it wouldn't - even the line manager said it wouldn't.  I'm hoping the Vodafone tech staff might be alble to shed some light on the issue.

Message 6 of 8 (3,334 Views)
Rank 27: Mentor I
_365_

I dont see any reason it wouldnt...my only concern would be not knowing who was actually calling so would have to pay every time someone called me, even if i didnt want/need to speak to them:smileyhappy:
Message 7 of 8 (3,329 Views)
Tech Team
Simon

Hi Wanderer66

I've not received any further information on this as yet and I've chased it up again this afternoon. I'll be in touch as soon as I have more information.

Thanks

Simon

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 8 (3,310 Views)