Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Lorne50

Cancelling premium rate text messages

My mother keeps getting text messages from 41117 and is being charged for them.  She does not want them, has no idea how they got started, and wastes time every day deleting them.  How can she cancel them?

1.  She tried replying with the word "Stop" but got a return message from Vodafone saying they did not understand the message.

2.  She tried emailing Vodafone (twice) but has no reply.

3.  She tried ringing 191 bu despite hbeing charged for the call and being told the text alerts would be cancelled she is still getting them 4 days later and has been charged £3 since Vodafone said they had cancelled them.

4.  In total since they started it has cost over £20.

5.  I have just spent 30 minutes on the Vodafone web site logged in as her and found a link that said "clcik here to manage your alerts" however when I clicked it I just got a page advertising new phones and new services and driving days with Jenson Button but nothing related to managing alerts.

What can we do?  And who is 41117? I can find nothing to tell me wh is sending these texts although I suspect it is Vodafone.

Message 1 of 51 (23,192 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Re: Cancelling premium rate text messages

The best idea would be to ask Vodafone to put the 'unsolicited reverse charge premium rate short code SMS bar' on your mothers account.  This will stop these annoying expensive unwanted short code SMS.

It is best to simply delete any messages as soon as received without opening and NOT to reply STOP or this will only let the sender know they have a genuine mobile number and will then pass the number over to other scammers.

It would not be Vodafone sending these messages as any marketing texts sent by Vodafone would not be charged.

If you feel I have helped you please click the star on the left of the reply.  If I have solved your enquiry, please click the star and click as accept as solution.  Thank you.

Ann
Message 2 of 51 (23,188 Views)
Lorne50

It turns out your confidence is Vodafone is unfounded.  41117 is a Vodafone live service.  I got a phone number to ring and went through some automated menus to cancel it but I still feel my mother has been ripped off by Vodafone:

1.  They have charged her over £25 for something she never wanted

2.  Of that £4 has been charged since they assured her it had been cancelled

3.  They chraged her for making the phone call to cancel it even though they did not do what they said they had done

4.  They do not seem to care - I was told there was nothing they can do about these charges.

And ofcourse this is the second time I have been told it is cancelled so who knows if that is true.  Total crap customer care if you ask me.

Message 3 of 51 (23,162 Views)
Lorne50

I'll take back what I said above.  Somebody just called from Vodafone and rebated the charges.

Message 4 of 51 (23,158 Views)
yolily

Just reply 'stop all' to 66333 and you will get a msg to confirm the cancellation.

I  am using pay as you go, was bothered for a couple of weeks until my credit is running out finally, the 66333 sent me msg to remind me to top up! It just stolen my money!

we should sue vodafone for it, as I have no idea how it started!

Message 5 of 51 (22,276 Views)
Annoyed75

Having been a Vodafone contract customer for the past 17 years, I bought my young daughter a Vodafone Pay As You Go phone for Christmas.  Having presented it to her with £15.00 of credit, she knew it was for emergencies and very occasional use only and was absolutely thrilled.  Unfortunately she has been bombarded with texts from 41117, 41128 and 8888 over the past 3 days and her credit balance is now ZERO!!  She was so upset and thought she would get into trouble for using it too much (two 30 second calls and 4 texts in the excitement of getting her first phone hardly uses up £15!)  I am absolutely disgusted Vodafone - this is no way to treat your customers.  Well over £10 of spare credit gone in 3 days for a service we have never, ever requested. 

I've spoken with Vodafone and been told to phone 0845 130 9911, where you can opt out of receiving this 'premium service'. It takes 24 hours for the cancellation to take effect, apparently (another 24 hours to grab/steal some more money from their customers??) so I have no intention of putting any further credit on her phone until then.  I will also be pursuing Vodafone for a full refund.  We'll see how far I get.

PS: I've just received a further text through from 41117 (obviously not charging me for this one as no credit left for them to take), telling me I have unsubscribe to UK News Breaking Alerts , but suggesting I visit their website: http://live.vodafone.com/Alerts to subscribe to more of their lovely services!  I THINK NOT!!

Message 6 of 51 (21,827 Views)
Annoyed75

I've just spoken to Vodafone and they have agreed to put £5 of credit on my daughters phone as a gesture of goodwill. Apparently these premium rate numbers do not belong to Vodafone.  Some good news is that Customer Services are able to put premium rate barring on the account (this also takes 24 hours to activate) which I have asked them to do.  I've also got them to put it on my contract phone account too.  Lets hope this puts a stop to all of this, but it's taken half an hour to sort out and I'm still out of pocket. Not right!

Message 7 of 51 (21,821 Views)
AnnS

Hi there annoyed

The alerts you are mentioning are Vodafone Live alerts which can be subscribed to only from the Vodafone Live internet portal which is available from the phone.

You need to go onto Vodafone Live, click on alerts and click 'get' and you will then receive daily news, weather etc etc daily alerts by reverse charge SMS on a daily basis.  The best way to stop these messages is to go to 'My Alerts' on Vodafone Live from the phone and you are able to see any alerts which have been subscribed to and cancel all the alerts in one go.

Its good to see that you have now got a bar which I have mentioned in an earlier post.

Ann
Message 8 of 51 (21,818 Views)
ruthmcdoodle

This evening I've received two text messages from 66333, and having looked up this number it appers I am likely to get charged for having received them, despite not signing up for anything. It would appear this if a fairly frequent problem with this number, however being on a contract, my bills are not yet updated to tell me whether I've been charged.

I'd rather not text 'STOP' as suggested on the forums in case the what I've read is incorrect and I'll be sent more messages. Can anyone tell me whether I will be charged for these messages, and if so, what is the best way to stop them (I've read different forum posts that replying with STOP or STOP ALL work but don't know if they both work or just one). Is there any way I can have them blocked them to prevent them coming through altogether?

Thanks, Ruth

Message 9 of 51 (20,741 Views)
AnnS

Hello ruthmcdoodle

The linked previous thread will help.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go-Services/Cancelling-premium-rate-text-messages/td-p/816...

If you give Customer Services a calll, they will be able to place the restriction bar to the account.  Alternatively, wait around for a member of the Tech Team to get back to you and place the bar on the account.

The regulator of the service is PhonePayPlus.

Ann
Message 10 of 51 (20,732 Views)
sawasawa2

I inherited an ex contract Samsung which was plagued with text messages from 41117, not agreed to and not wanted.  It was definitely the SIM card contaminated as I transfered the SIM to another phone and the texts appeared on that.  Read all the suggestions here and tried texting 41117 with STOP message and they confirmed almost immediately that my phone was 'unsubscribed'.  Time will tell!!

Being ex contract the phone has com with all sorts of apps built in such as SIMS3 and UNO. How can these be removed? Cheers Derek

Message 11 of 51 (18,587 Views)
sawasawa2

Following my previous thread on this subject, having texted STOP to 41117, I got a couple of reminders from them that I was 'unsubscribed' and would I like to rejoin!! Meantime I had emailed Vodafone through 'contact us' and got a reply this morning.  Apparently the 41117 service is part of Vodafone Live which installs automatically when loading a new SIM card and unless you opt out then, you are considered to have opted in and want the service. What a racket, to make more money. Derek

Message 12 of 51 (18,553 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi Derek,

Thanks for posting. I've done an internal search and I can assure you that customers do indeed have to opt in to the 41117 service. These news texts are charged at 12p each and can be opted out of at any point by texting the word 'STOP' (must be in capital letters) to the short code number. If anyone continues to receive the texts, they can email customerservices@winplc.com for assistance.

If you're looking to remove apps that are installed in a branded handset, the only way to remove them would be to root it. As this invalidates your warranty with Vodafone, I'm unable to advise on how to do this myself but a member of the eForum community may be able to help if this is an avenue you'd like to explore. :smileywink:

Cheers, Ben 

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 13 of 51 (18,544 Views)
stevenbuttery

Ben's comment is obviously well-meaning but wrong, both in terms of it being opt-in and how to stop it.

My eleven year old daughter obviously wouldn't seek out a service that sent news headlines for a fee. Its equally obvious that she wouldn't knowingly sign up for it if it was offered to her (why would anybody, come to that?). Sending STOP doesn't work - we've tried repeatedly. The lady I spoke to from Vodafone customer services said she would try to bar it but couldn't promise it would work. She said the best thing to do was contact the company (Winplc?) directly. What a great idea that is - ring a company who are clearly a bunch of scammers and politely ask them to stop scamming us. Her only other suggestion was to change my daughter's number.

Vodafone, this is not good enough - with today's technology there should be no reason at all why you cannot immediately and quickly block scams such as this at your end on request. If we have to change my daughter's number we'll change network as well, and see if anyone else is better,

Message 14 of 51 (18,116 Views)
stevenbuttery

Following on from my comment above, I did a bit of research on winplc who Ben suggested people should contact. Turns out that they've been acquired by Im imobile. Guess who one of Imimobile's business partners is (according to their website)? Yup, Vodafone (who, remember, cannot promise to stop this company from scamming people).

Would anyone from Vodafone like to explain themselves?

Message 15 of 51 (18,113 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hello stevenbuttery,

Thanks for your posts.

I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can and we'll be able to halt any premium rate SMS services.

Cheers,

Lee

Message 16 of 51 (18,026 Views)
rapido

[ Edited ]

I just put in a new Vodafone SIM card yesterday and topped up this afternoon, then spent the £10 voucher on Freebees bundle.

Now I received a message:

"Premium text message waiting from 41117 which expires on 03-DEC-12 Insufficient credit - please top up to receive."

I did not sign up to this service at all, in fact I haven't made or received a call yet!

I would appreciate if this scam service could be removed asap.

Many thanks in advance

EDIT: Just received another one, identical but with the date 04-DEC-12

Message 17 of 51 (15,429 Views)
Tech Team
Ben_H

Hi rapido,

Thanks for posting. Is this a new number you've had from us or is it one you had previously that you've moved onto the new SIM? If it's the former, chances are that the number is recycled and there may be 3rd party subscriptions from the previous owner of the line still active. You can use the instructions I included in my post above to stop them and chase them up or use this governing body for more information: http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

Alternatively, if it is a new number and you'd like for us to swap it out for you, email my team using the instructions I've sent via Private Message and we'll get it sorted for you. You can find your PM inbox here. :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers, Ben

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 18 of 51 (15,357 Views)
AnnS

There is a bar which Vodafone can add to your account, when you reply to the PM ask Ben to place the restriction on your account.

The eForum will know which bar.

Ann
Message 19 of 51 (15,355 Views)
derek78

This is absolutely disgraceful from vodafone.

This is happening to my 7yo daughters phone and has used all her credit.

She has been frightened to tell me about it in case she got in to trouble. I bought her an inexpensive mobile to allow me to keep in touch and also to teach her how to budget. I am completley angry about this profiteering from vodafone.

Looking around the net this problem is massive and completley under reported.

I have a meeting this afternoon and a few of my clients work in the legal trade. Over lunch I will be bringing up the possibility of a class action lawsuit, either at home or in the european courts as the way this is being handled by vodafone is disgusting.

I shall post back later with some contact details and i would fund this action.

When this is being done to children then it is time that the mainstream media were forced to report on this blatant profiteering.

Absolutley disgusted by this.

Message 20 of 51 (13,980 Views)