Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
TRutherford

Pay As You Go SIM - Disconnected

Heeeelp please!!

I have a PAYG SIMM that I use for incoming calls for my business. I had no idea that if it is inactive for a given period it is unceremoniously disconnected without notice. This has caused me MAJOR problems as all my customers (650 of them!!) use this number exclusively to contact me!

I usually make my outgoing calls using my free minutes on the contract Vodafone SIMM that is in my other phone. This enables me to keep my contract phone number private so that I am not plagued with calls morning noon and night.

Does anyone know if it possible for me to have this number re-instated or at the least re-ported to a new SIMM? I am absolutely desperate to get this sorted out as my livelihood is literally at stake here. Calling Vodafone has proved so far pretty fruitless as they say that I have to write (snail mail) to their head office, which could take days if not weeks.

Any ideas anyone pleeeease!?
Message 1 of 10 (6,048 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
SynthFG

I'm afraid the number is gone,
It appears to be voda policy to recycle PAYG numbers that have been inactive for a while, and voda's definition of activity is adding credit every so often
It's probably in the small print somewhere,

They appear not to be able or willing to undo this when it happens

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 2 of 10 (6,048 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

You may be able to get the number back, it depends how long its been since you last made a cheageable call.

If its been less than 170 days, you could try topping up and making a chargeable call. If the number accepts the top up, this will bring it out of suspension.

It is not only Vodafone who disconnect a PAYG number when there has been no chargeable call made, all the major networks have the same practice. Networks cannot keep a SIM active indefinitely when they do not receive any income.

This is explained in the PAYG Terms and Conditions.

Ann
Message 3 of 10 (6,048 Views)
ikkky26

Heeeelp please!!

I have a PAYG SIMM that I use for incoming calls for my business. I had no idea that if it is inactive for a given period it is unceremoniously disconnected without notice. This has caused me MAJOR problems as all my customers (650 of them!!) use this number exclusively to contact me!

I usually make my outgoing calls using my free minutes on the contract Vodafone SIMM that is in my other phone. This enables me to keep my contract phone number private so that I am not plagued with calls morning noon and night.

Does anyone know if it possible for me to have this number re-instated or at the least re-ported to a new SIMM? I am absolutely desperate to get this sorted out as my livelihood is literally at stake here. Calling Vodafone has proved so far pretty fruitless as they say that I have to write (snail mail) to their head office, which could take days if not weeks.

Any ideas anyone pleeeease!?
Message 4 of 10 (6,048 Views)
ikkky26

hi same happend to me yestarday! and i spoke to customer service in india and he said the manager would call me today! as its only been 90 days yet but i could still get the number back if i topped up and not let it roll on to the next 180 days or so which by then would definatly hit the nail and loose my number! im worried myself! as i need to get my number back! but how can i re activate it or top it up when its disconnected?? im baffleld! please can someone help??
Message 5 of 10 (6,048 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Martin

Hi LongmanofWilmington

AnnS has been brilliant with her post, thanks for that AnnS ;)

The best thing to do is call the PAYT team on 08700 77 66 55, if the number hasn't made a charge for 170 it can be suspended. Dependent on how long this has been the number can be re instated, if it after this time frame, the number will be lost.

Martin
eForum Team
Message 6 of 10 (6,048 Views)
morganblondie

Hi There.

We have had the same problem. We were cut off on wednesday and following the advice on here from the Vodafone rep we have now spoken to 15 people on the phone from customer care to head office. Then I was told to contact them via the webform on the website. We have now spoken to 2 more different people via webform and am getting no where.

We really need our number back. I can not understand how a comminication company can not communicate with their customer that they are due to be cut off. The can see there is activity on the sim card. Vodafone are phone calls and text messages so it can't be that difficult to warn people. We don't wish to be cut off and had we known it was imminent we would have changed it. Its a shame we got cut off as now we will probably go with another supplier if they don't put us back on.

If someone could help us that would be great.
Help for re-connection is greatly needed and would be much appreciated.
Message 7 of 10 (6,048 Views)
Rank 47: Master I
AnnS

Hi There.

We have had the same problem. We were cut off on wednesday and following the advice on here from the Vodafone rep we have now spoken to 15 people on the phone from customer care to head office. Then I was told to contact them via the webform on the website. We have now spoken to 2 more different people via webform and am getting no where.

We really need our number back. I can not understand how a comminication company can not communicate with their customer that they are due to be cut off. The can see there is activity on the sim card. Vodafone are phone calls and text messages so it can't be that difficult to warn people. We don't wish to be cut off and had we known it was imminent we would have changed it. Its a shame we got cut off as now we will probably go with another supplier if they don't put us back on.

If someone could help us that would be great.
Help for re-connection is greatly needed and would be much appreciated.

If you have followed the advise on this thread and it has been more than 270 days since you last made a chargeable call, you will be unable to get the number back.

A network cannot keep an PAYG number active indefinitely when it is not used. This is standard practice across the networks and is explained in the PAYG terms and conditions.
Ann
Message 8 of 10 (6,048 Views)
TRutherford

If you have followed the advise on this thread and it has been more than 270 days since you last made a chargeable call, you will be unable to get the number back.

A network cannot keep an PAYG number active indefinitely when it is not used. This is standard practice across the networks and is explained in the PAYG terms and conditions.

T&C's are all well and good but who reads the ultra small print of every routine agreement that is entered into? I bet you don't any more than I or anyone else would. Anyway, the point is that it cannot be beyond the capabilities of Vodafone to send a simple text to warn their customers of imminent disconnection. They manage to distribute marketing texts pretty damned efficiently!

Vodafone lose out in the end because I am also a contract customer of many years standing as well as a PAYG customer but won't be renewing my contract - along with many other people probably!
Message 9 of 10 (6,048 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
pawl1577

oh, I glad I came across this topic, we've just activated a PAYG Sim to receive auto text messages regarding delivery updates. I'll make sure I make a phone call each month to keep it active.
Message 10 of 10 (6,048 Views)