Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 2: First Poster
FROSTYBALLS

Pay as you go revised charges from 01/08/13

Had the text message this week re the changes to PAYG charges from 1st August 2013. Used the web link to the Vodafone pages explaining the changes - basically for PAYG Vodafone are moving from charging per second to charging per minute. The example given was a call lasting 1 minute 37 seconds would incur a cost of 2 minutes. This revision isn't making charges simpler. Vodafone are disguising the fact that they are actually increasing the cost of calls, in some cases quite substantially. The Vodafone example above is representative of a 23% increase in call costs for the user. A call lasting 1 minute and 1 second will cost the user 96% more.
Message 1 of 41 (3,383 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Myrm

Re: Pay as you go revised charges from 01/08/13

How much is a call per minute?

Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 2 of 41 (3,381 Views)
FROSTYBALLS

No changes to the cost per minute - so for example calls to National, local (01, 02, 03) and other Vodafone mobile numbers cost 25p per minute.

Message 3 of 41 (3,376 Views)
Myrm

Oh i see. Its the fact that its now charged to the next full minute.
Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 4 of 41 (3,374 Views)
FROSTYBALLS

Yes

Message 5 of 41 (3,372 Views)
FROSTYBALLS

So my example of a call lasting 61 seconds currently costs 26 pence. From 1st August the same call will cost 50 pence.

Message 6 of 41 (3,370 Views)
Myrm

Yes, i see what you mean. :smileysad:
Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 7 of 41 (3,368 Views)
Tech Team
Dave

Hi FROSTYBALLS,

This change was brought in to make things simpler - rather than trying to work out how much a few seconds cost, you can now see based on the exact charge by minute. 

The Freebee plans do still offer great value, giving allowances based on the pack you choose and catered to your preferred usage. The Freedom Freebee even offers unlimited internet for 30 days if you buy one before the end of the month.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 8 of 41 (3,315 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Funboy

Dave- I understand you have to toe the company line but please don't patronise us. This is being introduced to make more money for VF pure and simple. It doesn't make anything simpler other than the fact that PAYG customers will essentially pay more for calls
Message 9 of 41 (3,312 Views)
FROSTYBALLS

Pay as you go exists to cater for low users who don't need to top up every month, don't want the (to them) inconvenience and expense of having a pay monthly contract, but who need access to a mobile phone.

Vodafone already have one of the highest payg rates for customers at 25ppm - compared to people like Giffgaff whose charges are 10ppm.

In the recent Which? Mobile Satisfaction Survey 2013, Vodafone came 6th out of 9th for payg - behind (in descending order) Giffgaff, Asda Mobile, Tesco Mobile, Three and O2  -and got two stars (out of five) for value for money.

The changes being introduced from 1st August ONLY makes things simpler for Vodafone in that you only charge by the minute rather than second, AND you make a lot more money from the changes.

Vodafone Freebies only soften the high charges for Vodafone customers, but these will now be largely outweighed by the heavy call costs for payg users.

Being a Which? member, I have already highlighted the changes to Which? together with the potential substantial profits Vodafone will receive.

I have also raised the issue with Ofcom.

Message 10 of 41 (3,297 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
Annie_N

Dave wrote:

This change was brought in to make things simpler - rather than trying to work out how much a few seconds cost, you can now see based on the exact charge by minute. 

Just noticed this piece of nonsense.  Honestly, Dave, it would be better not to try justifying price hikes.  Companies put their prices up, their customers decide whether to stay or go, that's how commercial life works.  This price hike probably works out quite expensive for people who only make short calls, but may not matter over much to those who make very few calls.  Pity about the withdrawal of the £5 web pack though (says she, determinedly harping on about it).

Sorry, had decided not to get involved in this thread, as it was a bit too obvious that there was an issue, but having seen your post, I couldn't resist diving in.  It's Monday morning, I must be feeling grumpy.

Ann.

Message 11 of 41 (3,270 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
pricerisemartin

Vodafone clearly do not want PAYG customers - they want us all locked into contracts. The consistently make it difficult to run a PAYG account by restricting the amount you can top up using a registered credit or debit card each month, then they refused to accept a topup by registering a new card as I was abroad at the time, leaving me with no phone on a business trip to the US, and now by increasing charges, trying to claim that they are making it easier to understand - why can't they simply admit that they want to make their lives easier by eliminating PAYG users. I have no desire to enter into a contract giving me 500 free texts or 3gb internet access - I will not use them, being rather old fashioned and wanting to use a phone to actually speak to someone. I agree with earlier posts - a call to Ofcom may be appropriate, and I for one am now actively considering moving my 3 PAYG accounts to another provider.

Message 12 of 41 (2,966 Views)
Gronk991

Simpler? Maybe slightly. More expensive? Potentially much more. Communicated in a reasonable manner? Certainly not.

I am sorry but this is a joke, it is price hike and nothing else and you are treating us as idiots in trying to call it anything other than that.

I manage a large company account with Vodafone and have a personal Pay As You Go for when I am working in environments that I do not wish to expose my company iPhone to. Vodafone was my first choice, when the time comes to replace it I will consider other options.

Just remember, wind-up people on the small contracts and you may also loose the big ones...

Message 13 of 41 (2,910 Views)
gable_ratchet

"This change was brought in to make things simple" - for Vodafone.

As usual Vodafone try to pull the wool over our eyes by saying these changes will make life easier for customers - they trotted out this patronising message when they reduced mobile broadband data from 3GB to 2GB whilst expecting customers to pay the same amount for a third less data.

I didn't even receive a text about this change - I 'read' the message on BBC news

Message 14 of 41 (2,881 Views)
pricerisemartin

Forgot to say on my earlier posting - I too found out about this on the BBC - neither I nor my wife who is also on PAYG has received any text or notification!

Message 15 of 41 (2,865 Views)
Administrator
Phil

Hi everyone,

Some of our competitors already offer price plans charged in this way with a higher per minute rate than ours. In comparison to this we believe that by offering propositions with a generous allowance of minutes, we continue to offer our customers great value. For example, our Talk Freebee package includes 1000 UK minutes to mobiles and landlines (starting 01, 02, 03) per month when a customer tops up £10. 

Thanks,

Phil

Message 16 of 41 (2,830 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Funboy

Ah hh- so because the competition does it then VF should? Does this include capping contracts and guaranteeing no mid contract price rises like Tesco? Or unlimited data and no extra charge for 4g like three? Of course not- as usual VF picks and chooses its point of view with the sole intention of extracting more cash from its already overpriced packages. Shame on you Vodafone
Message 17 of 41 (2,800 Views)
FROSTYBALLS

Orange and T-Mobile charge on a minute basis.

O2 and Virgin continue to charge on a per second basis with a one minute minimum charge.

As regards the Talk Freebie and similar packages, I would state these will be 'devalued' by the change to charging by the minute and rounding up to the next minute. So these packages themselves will not offer the same value for money to customers as they do now.

Quote: 'we continue to offer our customers great value'. This is not borne out by this year's Which? report where Vodafone only gained 2 out of 5 stars for 'value for money' - and this was with the existing system of charges. Vodafone may be the first mobile provider to get zero stars for vlue for money in next  years Which? report (which I will be contributing to).

Message 18 of 41 (2,795 Views)
rreeve

As VodaFone feels the need to point out that only some of their competitors use this same min-by-min billing model, I'll now be switching to a competitor that doesn't.

When I first got my text message about the changes I immediatly sent a complaint to VodaFone. I got the reply I was expecting i.e the changes are designed to make it easier for customers which is CLEARLY a big fat excuse so they can make more money.

IF indeed the changes were designed just to make it easier for customers, then why on earth doesn't VodaFone round our calls DOWN to the nearest minuet as well as rounding it UP. For example, if I am on the phone for 1min 40sec's they will round this up to 2mins, but, if I am on the phone for 1min 15sec's, this should be rounded DOWN to only 1min. Now that would prove they really cared about making their billing easier for customers. However, when I mentioned this in my email complaint, they conveiniently ignored this part of my complaint.

VodaFone has now lost a customer that has been loyal for years who has had multiple PAYG and contracts over the years. I can't stand dishonesty and I won't tollerate it from a profit hungry corporation. Also, if anyone ever asks me which mobile phone network to use, I will specifically tell them to boycott VodaFone.

Message 19 of 41 (2,790 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
Annie_N

Phil wrote:

For example, our Talk Freebee package includes 1000 UK minutes to mobiles and landlines (starting 01, 02, 03) per month when a customer tops up £10. 

Really?  According to this the 1000 minutes is restricted to standard Vodafone mobile numbers within the UK.  The deal you describe would indeed go an awful long way to making up for the price rise.

I didn't get a text either, but then I don't seem to get texts from Vodafone, except when I've topped up, or a Freebee is beginning or ending.  Pleasant state of affairs generally, even if I do miss out on some news.

Ann.

Message 20 of 41 (2,781 Views)