Support:

Pay as you go services

Ask a question:
Rank 4: Established Poster
pinkcloud

Phone Will Not Send Text Messages

Hi pinkcloud/James EB (sorry, a little confused there!)

I apologise for the confusion over this. I've checked your email history with us, and as it's not an account specific question I can answer it here...

So to answer your question, you could collect a replacement SIM from a Vodafone Store, yes :)

Tom

eForum Team

Thanks Tom

There were two issues outstanding in my email.

Matty D had assured me that in receiving a replacement Sim "you won't lose your number during this process" and I would like that reassurance that that will be the case if I go to a Vodafone store.

Secondly, I asked if my Siemens S45 had now updated itself on your system as it was said not to have done so for some months and this was the reason for it not working fully.

With regard to visiting a Vodafone store I have quite a long journey so would like to know in advance that they can help me both with this and an issue I have on another thread. The store would be the one at South Croydon (not Croydon itself) and having found you cannot call them only the dreaded 191 I waited an hour in a queue on 191 and gave up. Then I looked again at your Store Locator and found that during the last few days the South Croydon store is no longer listed.

Is the South Croydon store still there please and is it possible to phone them direct?

Thanks again
pinkcloud

PS what is confusing is having the "mick " issue with different phone and nothing to do with mine stuck in the middle of my reply. I agree entirely with the other poster JamesEB that Vodafone should make mick's issue a separate thread.
Message 61 of 71 (10,003 Views)
Community Manager (Retired)
Tom

Hi again,

Just to close off these questions for you...

You'll definitely keep your same number with a SIM swap. When we swap your SIM over, we simply change the SIM number which is registered against all of your account, so your mobile number will always stay the same.

To check if your mobile's updated on the network, just type in *#105# on the keypad and press call. The "Registered" date and time is the latest update we've received, but if it's working now, there's no need to worry anyway :)

I completely appreciate you wanting to check these things before making your journey to the store, and from looking on the website I can see we have two stores in Croydon listed. Is there a particular reason you want to visit that store? There are a couple of others listed as closer to your home postcode you gave to us when you registered. The two I can see for Croydon though are:

Croydon
Unit 36 The Whitgift Centre
Croydon
CR0 1UP

Croydon 74 Northend
74 North End Croydon
Croydon
CR0 1UJ

If neither of those is the one you're thinking of then I'd expect it's now closed, but you can view all of our stores here to find where's closest now. There's not a way to call our stores by phone, but I'm sure they'll have blank SIMs in stock to arrange the swap for you.

On the topic of mick's issue, whilst I appreciate you'd like your own thread for your posts, as this is all resolved for you now I'm sure you don't mind us lending a hand to mick here too? We're here for both of you if you need help with anything else, don't worry :)

Tom

eForum Team
Message 62 of 71 (10,003 Views)
pinkcloud

Hi pinkcloud,

A Vodafone Shop may be able to figure out how to copy your contacts to the SIM Card better than we can advise, so this is certainly the last resort :) You can use our store locator to find your nearest branch.

Jon

eForum Team
Message 63 of 71 (10,003 Views)
Tom

Hi again,

I've checked our systems and can't find that store, but looking on Google I'm thinking maybe it's a third party Vodafone retailer and not an official store? I know we're opening some new stores though so it's possible it's one which just isn't showing up yet.

Having looked into our database of handset information, I can't find anything on the S45 and so wouldn't be able to talk you through moving the messages, in fact this is a feature which has only really been available on more recent phones.
I completely appreciate you need to keep the messages, but unfortunately it's unlikely this is possible. The Vodafone stores will work from the same database of information as me too, so they're no more likely to be able to help, sorry!

Tom

eForum Team
Message 64 of 71 (10,003 Views)
pinkcloud

Hello Tom

Thanks about the SIM info but my issues are not yet resolved.

Yes there is a particular reason for me wanting to go to that particular store at South Croydon and for me saying not Croydon itself in my last post.

Not all of the Vodafone stores seem to be listed in your Store Locator. I have now been given an address of one at Purley Way which would be suitable but that is not shown in your Store Locator.

The major unresolved issue is that of the large number of important text messages I have stored on the Siemens S45 archive in both the Inbox and Outbox and my urgent need to copy them or store them somewhere else before the phone fails again. I wanted to contact the Vodafone Store before travelling to find out if they could help with this.

The last reply I had on this was from Jon below where he said that a Vodafone Shop could help with copying my contacts. I do not require my contacts copied (which I understand would be a simple matter) and must re-emphasise that it is these important archived texts.

pinkcloud

Hello Tom

Thanks. The info on the Vodafone shop said to be at Purley says it's a Vodafone Connect store - what is that? (address is 2 Purley Way, Croydon CR0 3JP) although the South Croydon one would be better.

Tom, it is absolutely essential to save these important texts on the Inbox and Outbox archive.

I have been trying to keep it brief on here but the whole story is that Vodafone sold me this phone in the knowledge that I wanted to store some important text messages and on their advice and assurance that they would have to be stored on the SIM and that the Siemens S45 was the only phone at the time that stored messages on the SIM.

It is obvious on here that I know very little about it and it was a very nasty shock to find out in this thread that they are in fact stored on the failing phone and the assurances from Vodafone on which I based my purchase, and relied upon ever since, were untrue.

I really do need some help with this please.

pinkcloud
Message 65 of 71 (10,003 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy_V

Hi pinkcloud

I have done some further checks around the Vodafone building you mentioned. We do have an office on Purley Way but unfortunately this is an office only, rather than a store, so unfortunately the staff there will not be able to help you with your query. Click on the link here to view the store locator which will help you find a nearby alternative.

With regards to the transferring of your text messages, as Tom advised this is a function which is unlikely to be available on such an old handset but I cannot be 100% sure without checking the handset itself. I have been unable to do this as we do not have a copy of the handset here in the office, and with it being such an old model the manual was removed from our systems several years ago. If the Vodafone Store advised you at the point of sale that this was a function that the handset was capable of I would not like to rule that out but without having the phone in my hand and checking it myself I would be guessing if I tried to give you a definite answer.

As a long shot you may be able to contact Siemens to see if they can suggest a way of doing this but to manage your expectations I do not know if they will be able to suggest anything. The number for Siemens is 08705 334411.

Cheers

Andy H
eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 66 of 71 (10,003 Views)
pinkcloud

Hi pinkcloud

I have done some further checks around the Vodafone building you mentioned. We do have an office on Purley Way but unfortunately this is an office only, rather than a store, so unfortunately the staff there will not be able to help you with your query. Click on the link here to view the store locator which will help you find a nearby alternative.

With regards to the transferring of your text messages, as Tom advised this is a function which is unlikely to be available on such an old handset but I cannot be 100% sure without checking the handset itself. I have been unable to do this as we do not have a copy of the handset here in the office, and with it being such an old model the manual was removed from our systems several years ago. If the Vodafone Store advised you at the point of sale that this was a function that the handset was capable of I would not like to rule that out but without having the phone in my hand and checking it myself I would be guessing if I tried to give you a definite answer.

As a long shot you may be able to contact Siemens to see if they can suggest a way of doing this but to manage your expectations I do not know if they will be able to suggest anything. The number for Siemens is 08705 334411.

Cheers

Andy H
eForum Team

Hi Andy

Welcome back.

I am immensely grateful to you for the amount of effort you have put into this for me.

Thanks for looking into the location for me. Could I trouble you to check on what happened to the South Croydon store? It was on your Store Locator about a week previously and then disappeared. The other two in Croydon itself are not suitable.

I expect you will understand that I am getting a bit desperate about the important texts stored on the archive Inbox and Outbox of my Siemens S45 and the likelihood that the phone will fail.

I would not expect you to comment generally on a non Vodafone site but your colleague suggested one that in the event could not help.

So I would like to ask you want you think about this……. I asked a computer expert in Australia (!) if he knew of anything I could do and in a flash he told me of a firm in Oxford Street, London that supply a data cable that would do the trick.

This is the link http://www.mytrendyphone.com/shop/usb-data-cable-1840p.html

I was also able to download the software for the cable Soft Data Link 5.0 from here http://www.siemensfun.co.uk/Tools/

Would this kind of thing work please and would I be able to do it?

Kind regards and thanks again

pinkcloud
Message 67 of 71 (10,003 Views)
Tech Team
Jenny

Hi pinkcloud,

I completely appreciate your frustration here, I’ve got some text messages that I wouldn’t ever want to lose!

I honestly don’t have any further information about the South Croydon store to give you and can’t explain why it’s no longer on the Store Locator.

Regarding the data cable and software, I not able to say if this will work or not because it’s not a Vodafone supplied device or accessory and so it’s not something we would provide support for.

It’s completely up to you however if this is the only thing you’ve found so far then it may be worth a try!

All the best,

Jenny
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 68 of 71 (10,003 Views)
pinkcloud

Thanks.

I would be grateful if you will please ask Andy H of Vodafone to reply to my last post.

I waited a week for him to come back in and then missed him.

Kind regards
pinkcloud
Message 69 of 71 (10,003 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
freedy50

Sorry to butt in on someone elses thread but Ive just bought a new Samsung phone, managed to send a couple of texts over the weekend but on switching it on again to use another day I cant send any text. Ive found that the Message Service Number seems to have changed to something like 856005.

I see on one of the other pages on here that the number is actually on the phone itself.

In that case I assume that my phone is faulty & I should take it back to the shop where I bought it?
Message 70 of 71 (10,003 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Andy_V

Hi pinkcloud

Sorry about the delay in my response. I have been in and out of the office for a few weeks looking after an ill relative and have only just seen your post. As Jenny has advised it is not possible for us to say with any certainty whether the data cable would work for you. In order to be certain we would have to test this ourselves and we can’t do that because we do not have one of those handsets to use for testing. I have tried to find out about the Croydon store for you but there appears to be no information about this on our intranet so it would seem the store has closed or is in the process of moving locations.

freedy50 you should be able to adjust the message centre number on your handset without the need to send it for repair. Unfortunately as I do not know the specific model of your Samsung I have had to provide you with some generalised instructions for doing this. Try following the instructions below and if you are not able to change the number with these post again with the full model and I will be able to give you the correct ones.

Press Menu > Scroll To "Messages" > Press Select > Scroll To "Settings" > Press Select > Scroll To "Text Messages" > Press Select > Scroll To "Sending Options" > Press Select > Scroll To "Service Centre" > Enter +447785016005 > Press Save.

Cheers

Andy H
eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 71 of 71 (10,003 Views)